Note to New Members ×

First hardboot setup?

Jrobb

So after some lengthy consideration and lurking about here, I have widened my search for boards to include purchasing hard boots and bindings...and keeping the board I was going to sell (A-Frame 170 the hardboots to be used with this board). But the dillema is, I don't have 600 to spend on boots and bindings. For this to work I'd need a setup that works for around 475 (the price of the possible board upgrade under consideration).

For starters, I've carved a bunch in softies for the last year and half. I'm 215 loaded for snow, and have 28-28.5 mondo (one foot is 28 other is 28.5).

I'm not too sure which way to go binding wise, stepin (Intec) or bail...the stepins look less secure but that could be my "skidder" eyes tricking me.

First glance, I'd look at used gear but bindings still have me nervous as failures here can mean...:freak3: for a knee or leg. New boots would have my budget stonewalled so I'd still need bindings.

What to do? What should I stay away from and what should I look for?

J

Guest demonballer

I would definately go with intec step ins instead of normal bails. They are so much better. The first day I ever road hard boots I borrowed a pair of normal bail bindings to try out my new board and I hated getting in the binding so much. I went right out after that and bought step ins.

Yeah I've read through that a few times but skipped over some because the tips didn't apply to me at the time. I'd say I'm past norm and NormII carving and my soft boot carving has exceeded my setup (at least exceded the width of my board). I can crank the board over and carve till I boot out all day...but I want more. Are Bomber and Hardbooter the only online retailers that may have deals on closeout items?

J

I have an extra pair of boots (Head Stratos Pro 29) 1/2 season old with intec heals and a pair of Catek Olympics 1/2 season old that I'll sell you. I'm not looking to make a profit, just wen a little purchase crazy last spring if you know what I mean. Once you start buying this stuff, you realize how many options there are and you want to try everything. That's why I'm heading back to the WTC this week! New gear!!

I have an extra pair of boots (Head Stratos Pro 29) 1/2 season old with intec heals and a pair of Catek Olympics 1/2 season old that I'll sell you. I'm not looking to make a profit, just wen a little purchase crazy last spring if you know what I mean. Once you start buying this stuff, you realize how many options there are and you want to try everything. That's why I'm heading back to the WTC this week! New gear!!

PM me with some numbers and we can go from there. The boots may not work for me. What's your mondo size (dumb question but I'd rather not be an ass(ume)?

J

For the boots, defnitely do not size up. It's always better to get a boot that is slightly too small than one that is slightly too big. Small boots can easily be fixed by a boot fitter.

with your budget, $475 right? Your most expensive piece of equipment and hardest thing to find will be the boots.

Ibex bought the molds from burton and they are currently selling what looks like Burton plates under the Ibex name. you can find them at Chris Klug's site (click here). they're $179. that leaves you with approximately $300 to spend on boots. that site also has Burton Earth boots in your size, although i don't know anything about the earth boots (they only have 3 buckles). Everyone here that still rides Burton boots is either using the Fire or Wind.

Post your height and weight. It'll be easier for people to help you out. Anyway, GL, i'm sure more experienced riders will be able to help you out. Also, try posting up in the "Wants to Buy" forum.

I don't understand why would someone drop 179 on Ibex plates while you could have used WCs or OS1s or TD1s for less or Burtons for way less, or even new Snowpros?

i can't say anything about any of those bindings, since all i've been on are td2s. however, what i've "heard" is that OS1s and most especially TD1s are SUPER stiff. that doesn't seem like it would be the friendliest set up to learn on.

as for burtons, well, i figured Ibex is burton without the burton name... those should actually be easy to find. they always pop up in the for sale forums. and be careful with ebay, prices are weird there, i've seen burton race plates go for as little as $120 and as much as $185...

snowpros i don't know anything about and haven't seen them at any of the alpine sites i've been visiting, this one, hardbooter, and yyzcanuk's site...

oh and for some reason, TD2s are cheaper at hardbooter, heh

Keep an eye on the classifieds here, stuff comes up all the time. Also, this is a useful ebay query.

that is a useful search. i've never seen so much alpine stuff turn up on an ebay search.

well, 475 should be more than enough to get started in alpine if all you're looking at is bindings/boots.

Thanks for that search Neil, I found this on there. Are these worth attaching my expensive feet to?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Proflex-freecarve-bindings-brandnew_W0QQitemZ220074197476QQihZ012QQcategoryZ101731QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

J

oh and are the Earth boots any good?

also to clear things up, I'm 6'3" almost 29 and 210-215 in snow gear.

Those might be a little flimsy for your size. OTOH I use a step-in version of those at 190 lbs with no problem. I've never used the Earth boots but my understanding is that they are a soft free-riding sort of boot with a low cuff. If you combine them with the pro-flexes you will have a pretty flexy setup, which some people like.

Cool thanks.

As noob as I am I'm kind of judging boot qualities by number of buckles and descriptins. I didn't like the three buckles of the Earth's vs the 4 buckles of the majority of the other boots...along with rider input from various threads I can find.

J

snowpros i don't know anything about and haven't seen them at any of the alpine sites i've been visiting, this one, hardbooter, and yyzcanuk's site...

They are flexier bindings, like Burtons or F2s. Unlike Burton, they have fully adjustable cant and lift streight out of box. Also 6mm bails vs. Burtons 5mm bails. They do not fit on Burton boards, but who cares? They can be bought new, cheaper than used Burtons or F2s. I like them a lot on my AM and pow boards. Go for Race or Ltd models, not Force or Base.

They are flexier bindings, like Burtons or F2s. Unlike Burton, they have fully adjustable cant and lift streight out of box. Also 6mm bails vs. Burtons 5mm bails. They do not fit on Burton boards, but who cares? They can be bought new, cheaper than used Burtons or F2s. I like them a lot on my AM and pow boards. Go for Race or Ltd models, not Force or Base.

How well do their Fast heels work. Looks like the handle or lever could inadvertently be hit and they'd release. Or better yet, how does their stepin system compare to Intec heels?

J