Note to New Members ×

Board Length and Stiffness vs. Stance Width

jnshapiro

Is there some sort of relationship here? I'm riding a fairly short Axxess (167) for my weight (185lbs). I can carve it just fine but can't really crank out a tight turn to shed speed (I had it layed over pretty dang far and was dragging my body on the snow). I'm a bit on the short side, but stocky and pretty strong (5'7" tall).

I got a lesson yesterday from local carver Ian Kent (used to rep for Pure Carve) and he suggested that with the board length I am on and the stiffness, I ought to narrow up my stance a little to tighten the flex pattern.

Is there anything to this? It sounds plausible.

BTW, Ian really knows his stuff. The 2 hours we spent were fantastic! I really learned a lot. If any of you want a lesson and can go to Kirkwood, let me know and I'll get you in contact with him.

He's right, but you didn't say how wide your stance is now.

I've had a couple of 167's. I looked on Donek's site and if your board is the same as the specs, a 9.6 metre radius is a really deep sidecut for a 167. In comparison, the factory prime 167 has a 12.29 metre, and I have a mistral sonic that is a 13 metre.

Something around 17 or 18 inches should do the trick, putting more weight in the middle of the board to decamber it adequately.

Dave R.

let me know how you make out with that. I happen to be around the same weight and size...180 lbs 5'6" and I am riding a FP167 this year. (if the east coast ever gets snow). On my Speed 160 I am riding 19" stance and find it the most comfortable and stable. I tried 18" and 20". angles around 51 f/b. I was planning on a 19" as well on the FP