Note to New Members ×

Big White POW

Guest pat

I'm going to BC from the 4th to the 9th of january. I've been wondering if I should bother bringing my 4807 along. Hows the powder there now anyways ... i figure it shouldn't be half bad but is it worth bringing 2 boards along ... i just don't trust the baggage carrier people ... those little *&@)% throw everything around lol. dunno when I'm gonna go to BW but I'll post when I find out. Staying in Kelowna.

Is there a place where i can get a set of plates for fairly cheap out there? I took a bad wipout last week and I dunno if one of my plates is gonna hold up if I fly over the handlebars that hard a few more times. I don't really wanna have to softboot but if it breaks it looks like its gonna be my only option.

Staying in Kelowna.
There's usually lots of pow there, lots of good tree runs. Not sure about current conditions. Why are you staying in town? That's a 45-50 minute haul up the access road every day, worse if there's lots of snow. There's a ton of nice condos for rent there, try ownerdirect.com to get the good prices - avoid central reservations like the plague. Park the car for the week, ski in, ski out - I love Big White!

I think the forecast is for snow almost every day next week. It would be worth bringing a powder board. For protecting the boards while traveling, have you considered the double size SkiTube. It works great and so far no damage to the boards.

I've been wondering if I should bother bringing my 4807 along.

You are kidding, right? Bring only 4807 ;) Huge rainfall at Vancouver could mean only one thing at BW. (Ok, joke, take a carving board, too)

Maybe Tibor, or Dave, can give you first hand report from the hill...

I will be at Big White for the first time January 17-23. I have been riding asym boards (Burton M6 and Hot Logical) since the early 90s and just got a new Donek FCII for this trip and a February trip to Colorado. Should be an interesting transition! Will anyone be on the mountain during those days? I'm staying on the mountain.

Mahalo!

Just got back from a 3 dayer in big white, day off , then followed by a day in silverstar.

Was there (BW) just before new years to jan 02 , mainly hardpack as no new while there, lots left in the tighter trees, coverage a bit thin compared to the coast, a few rocky patches on the grooomies.

Was riding silverstar yesterday in the middle of a snowstorm, about 12-14 cms T/O the day, very nice but still thinnish coverage with some bare patches in high traffic zones, lots of fun bombing skiers right comet chair got to eyeball lines on way back up. Not many people riding that run, I guess a little scrutiny from the chair backs everyone off.

Today likely would have been awesome on either mountain but it was a travel day for me, had the misfortune of seeing a cube van go pearshaped and land on its side on the Coqihalla at about 100 kmh about 200 meters in front of me, luckily no one to badly hurt so didnt have to hang around to long once the cops showed, might add a fire extinguisher and a window popper to the car, wasnt sure if it was gas or melting water initially coming out of that thing with people trapped in the cab, pretty freaky,

Dave*

ps will be back at Cypress tomorrow am.