Note to New Members ×

Another newb wants help with Boards...please

lstzephyr

What do you think of the Burton Alp? Do you think its worth 160 from Klug? I am looking for a board to screw around on the whole mountain(moguls, double blacks, bowls, green groomers, carrying cargo(I'm a lifty, so I carry water coolers, trash, tools, lights, and other crap at times). I tend to like responsive, maneavurable boards. I really want something versatile, but I have a ball everytime I ride my roomates old Asym Air so i am leaning away from freeride. I really enjoy the stiffer freerides I have riden(k2 zeppelin is a fav) but they do seem a bit sluggish. I am leaning towards the Alp because its new(well nos), so more likely to keep its camber longer(i think). I think a all mountain or bx type would be the best bet though. I ride at least one run everyday, and generally spend two full days a week on the slopes. So what do you think? I am a newb at alpine(but started snowboarding 5-6 years ago), so I am open to any suggestions of boards(new or old) but I am poor...so cheap is good. I am watching a Oxygen O2 on ebay...but I can't find any info on it. Oh and I am wanting to stick with softboots for now. Thanks for your help.:biggthump

Sounds like you're looking for a BX/ all-mountain style board to me... riding with softboots? the Prior ATV is probably a good choice for that. Bomberonline sells it, or you could post a "want to buy" about an all-mountain/bx style board in the classifieds section. I havnt ridden the Alp but riding an alpine board in softboots is usually not a good idea. If youre strapped for cash, keep searching the classifieds. if you wait a while you can usually get a good deal on decent boards boots and bindings.

BX board is the answer. It would carve like an alpine (its basically a wide slalom board), and allow for flatter angles required for soft boots. Good as AM stick too.

Once you are ready for plates, you can easily throw them on your BX board and carv out a storm. For that scenario a 24-waisted one would be nicer...

Boris

Thanks a bunch guys. I have been doing as much research as I could, but I figured I'd just ask. I have a wtb ad in the classifieds(or maybe not, seems to have screwed up on me...probably operator error). A bx board was my first choice and that rossi sounds awesome! I'll be sending you an email. If you guys are ever in the Aspen/Buttermilk area, run by the west Buttermilk express lift(I work the top) and I'll help ya out with anything you need. There are a bunch of hardboot carvers that ride the lift all day, and they seem to enjoy it alot. Thanks again. Alan

Thanks a bunch guys. I have been doing as much research as I could, but I figured I'd just ask. I have a wtb ad in the classifieds. A bx board was my first choice and that rossi sounds awesome! I'll be sending you an email. If you guys are ever in the Aspen/Buttermilk area, run by the west Buttermilk express lift(I work the top) and I'll help ya out with anything you need. There are a bunch of hardboot carvers that ride the lift all day, and they seem to enjoy it alot. Thanks again. Alan

Make sure to at least try hardboots! It's a necessary step to hard carving, whether you ride hardboots permenantly or not. After riding hardboots, I can now carve lower on my softboots than anyone I know who's ridden softboots exclusively. I still can't carve nearly as well with softboots as I can with hard though and probably never will:cool:

Yeah, one of my days off this season I intend to drop by bomber's and demo some hardboot stuff. I hope to try them on a Prior Atv too. I get free passes to other resorts so I will probably go to Vail, or something. I do tend to use stuff to do things other than they were designed for, like riding that asym air in the trees or on moguls(today actually). I'm itching to try hardboots, but money is tight...part of living around Aspen I guess.