Note to New Members ×

Afton Alps

kirtap

afton is in good shape. most, if not all of the runs are open. there is some brown starting to show through in a few spots (as of saturday), but not enough to worry about. as to ice, it varies day to day. if it was warm the day before, it'll probably be a little icy in the morning, but should soften up as the sun comes up.

and the grooming has been way better than in years past. :biggthump

NMU, the race hill is in great shape. i'm sure they'll be blowing snow as temps allow. that hill is always a priority for them to have good coverage.

-trent

I went today and it was very icy. They were making lots of snow. The base had a very thick layer of ice, then about an inch or two of the fake snow stuff on top of it. It was hard to ride on (and I was on softies) and suspect that I would have had a very hard time holding an edge riding hardboots.

Hey guys, I am just wondering if I could get a conditions update again... How did the New Year's weather change things... I'm just trying to get most of my tuning work done before we leave Marquette Friday afternoon....

Also, I don't race on Saturday (slalom day), so if anyone will be out there and wants to hook up for a few runs, let me know....

Looks like it will be cold enough to groom all week and not warm enough to turn it all to slush. The weekend should be ok. Trent might know what the snow making has been like over there. Otherwise, come to Buckhill on Saturday. It has the best snowmaking and there should be a few of us out there.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/pets/tenday/USMN0005?from=search_10day

BobD

afton is in good shape. i've been out there the past 2 days. the race hill is all set. u of wi has been out the past 2 days training for this weekend. they were running gs both yesterday and today.

there's ice way down, which you won't hit with your skis free-skiing. but should make the courses hold up well. ruts shouldn't be too much of an issue, even for the last racers.

they've made a little snow 2 nights ago too.

good luck this weekend! my wife's working all weekend, so i'll be home with the kids (too young yet to bring with me), otherwise i'd meet up with you on sat and make some turns! if i do manage to get out on sunday, i'll carve by the races a few times. come introduce yourself!

if you're out carving, stay on the front hills (where your race will be). they're the widest, steepest, and have the best snow coverage. (chairs 1 - 3). you can also try chair 7? (might be 6). that's a good run too, but short.

-trent

Hey guys, thanks for the update :biggthump

I appriciate the invite out to Buck, and I really wish I could make it, but I have to hang around Afton. Even though I have most of the day free, I still have some gate keeping and coat running duties that I am resposible for. So I am stuck there :smashfrea

Trent: If I see you out there on Sunday, I'll gladly introduce myself... I'm always up for meeting other carvers... I'll be in green/yellow Northern Michigan University Alpine team jacket and a blue/white MX helmet... I should stand out like a sore thumb :flamethro I look forward to meeting you....

Alright, time to pack up... Hopefully Minnesota treats me better than it did last time I raced there :angryfire