Note to New Members ×

Crystal Mtn., MI

pebu

Crystal Mountain in Michigan is finally opening!!! Planning on being there saturday afternoon and hopefully all of sunday. Have to pick up my pass and all that jazz, otherwise it'd be earlyer. Any chance there are any hardbooters willing to let me try my luck on their board? Sounds like everybody is from minnesota, eh...

Hey! I remember Crystal Mountain!

I used to live in MI before MN, (Ludington - Big Rapids - Kalamazoo),

and spent my first years learning to snowboard at Crystal.

Think "Loki" was one of my favorites for carving, though I was often the only one out there riding plates.

Best of luck to you pebu!

~Karl

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I could have started a new thread, but I'll just piggyback on the old one. I was wondering if theres by chance anybody in the area of Crystal Mtn. that would be willing to give me some tips/lessons/pointers on my riding this weekend (01/06-01/07). I've picked up a rossi and looking forward to my second time on it. I've been called very good on my soft setup (though I would say that I'm in the moderate to good range) and I can get down the hill in decent style on my new hard setup. I feel real good on my toe-side, but I"m sure I'm sittin on the toilet a bit on my heal side. I ride with my brother who is a skier, but he can't tell me what is going on on a snowboard. I just think that I would benefit a whole lot from riding with somebody with some experience. And hey, you might even get some beer out of it...

• 2 weeks later...

Headin out to Crystal Mtn. some time today. I'm a little anxious to, but I still have to wait for my brother and his gf to be ready before we can go. It's just over 20*f here. Should make for some good groomers and hopefully it's not chopped up by the time we get there. I wish crystal did some mid-day grooming. Anyhoo, I suppose I should stay in ready mode. Have fun carvers.

• 3 weeks later...

So I went out yesterday (Sunday). Conditions were great for carving. Just wish my alpine board wasn't under the weather... I lost a screw and haven't gotten around to fixing it up and waxing and everything. So I was on my soft boots, which was alright, because I was with a bunch of skiers.

The vanity run on the north face was flippin awesome. Wide, no chop, good consistant slope, fairly hard... There were a pair of hardbooters goin down it and I wanted to chat with them but I never really got a chance. One was on a yellow (burton I think) with some catek (I think) step-ins and raichle boots. The other was on a red board with normal plates, couldn't tell the make at all. Guy on yellow looked pretty good. Guy on red didn't look quite as good as yellow (A little straightlining and a little skidding), but was still very capable of making it down the hill.

If you sound like you're one of them guys, lemme know, I'd love to carve with you some time.

On another note, my new (used) boots are at the post office waiting for me to pick them up tonight, assuming I can make it to the post office before they close. They're gettin set up for my board tonight for sure and I should be able to get the liners molded by the weekend hopefully, so I should be rippin it up this weekend.

Also, this weekend is going to be one of my last at Crystal until late season. Weekend after I'm going to Houghton (MTU) and gonna do some boardin at Mt. Bohemia. Weekend after that more of the same, but with a different group of people. Weekend after that we're planning on going to Searchmont for some serious shreddin. And finally after that I don't have any plans...

Keep on carving.

Ben

Hey Pebu, I met the guy with the yellow burton board on Sunday over on Loki. He waited for me at the chair to ask what I thought would help him not wash out the tail. I got his name but already can't remember it. I saw him taking a few runs and you're right, he looked like a good carver. I never did see him with anyone else on an alpine board though. There were a bunch of us out this weekend, but most of them left early sunday afternoon. Eight on alpine boards that I can think of off the top of my head.

Well, I came fairly late as we had a pretty late friday and saturday (due to the Sno-Drift in Atlanta). I only saw the 2 and only on the north face. You weren't the other one I don't imagine. But anyways, I missed them all.

I got my boots (used, but new to me). Raichle 124s with the RAD springs on the back. Went from a sole size of 324 (on the ski boots) to 285. I'm so pumped to try them out. Saturday morning I'm gonna go to Sun 'N Snow and have them do the thermo-fitting I think. I should call and make sure they'll do it. But other than that I have the bindings fitting and I know what angles I want. Just gotta pick up a couple bolts and washers and fit the linings and I'm good to go. I'm so excited.

I'll be there again this weekend. I'd imagine saturday afternoon and sunday morning again. Lemme know.

Guest Penguin

I will be there on Jan 31. I will be either on a Burton Cayon, or if I am getting tired of doing it goofy then I will be either on a fish if tehre is enough snow or else I will be on a Floater 59. Not going to be doing much carving but I will be happy to board with anyone.

I have a yellow jacket and black pants. Depending on how wacky the hill is that day I might even have on my hat. And that you cannot miss.

You might have to speak up as I will have my MP3 player going.

Wish I would have seen that sooner. Oh well, I don't really have the luxury of boarding during the week. Work and home are too far away.

Yesterday (saturday) was just nasty as hell. I went to the ski shop to get my boots molded, but then they told me that they only have a pipe molder and not an oven. So I bought some bolts and a friend bought a helmet and we came back home and I molded them here. I was nervous but it worked. It was so nasty that even I didn't want to go out that day. Today looks alot better though, so I think I'll probably go. And I'll probably be alone, so keep an eye out for a lime green columbia jacket and a rossi xvas (red wite and blue).

Hey, pebu, i didn't make it up this weekend because i was sick. Looks like i didn't miss much, it would have been super cold out. I'll be up next weekend for sure with some friends, none of whom board, but if the conditions are right I'll still be on mine. I'm surprised i haven't caught you out there on the hill yet. I'm usually really easy to find. Did they get the clipper up and running again? That was a huge crowd maker last weekend.

Hey, be glad you didnt' make it. It wasn't worth the money I spent on it and I have a seasons pass. Yeah, it was that bad. My board didn't want to move at all. I waxed it the other night and I put on the totally wrong wax. Even with the right wax I think it would have been too cold. Everybody was going slow and it was pretty fluffy stuff. Not to mention BITTER cold. I was in Kinlochen changing between my hard and soft boots and there was a guy in there that asked me how it was on plates out there today. I was kinda suprised that somebody knew what plates were. (He was tall, hair was a couple inches long, blond, he had a blackberry, probably about mid to late thirties I guess...) But yeah, I made one run on my hard board and like 3 more on my soft board and I had way too much. I don't know how people were enjoying being out there today. I almost got rear ended on the way home too, so I'm glad I got home and just sit by the fire the rest of the night. (fixed our kegerator up a bit too, so the night isn't totally lost :)) I'm not gonna be able to make it back to crystal for about a month though. Next weekend is Winter carnival up in Houghton (MTU is where I went to school) and the weekend after that I'm returning to go to Mt. Bohemia, then the weekend after that I'm going to Searchmont... So there I go making a short story long again, but whatever. Maybe I'll catch you again some time.

Ben

Hey, I'll be out there this weekend. I won't have my truck parked over in the buck lot this time so you can find me, I'll be driving a minivan that doesnt stick out. You should be able to spot me either with a 3-track skier, or a girl that looks way too old to be wearing bunny ears on her helmet, with bunny ears on her helmet. Hope I find some hard booters out there.

So was anyone from here out at crystal on this past Saturday? There were more alpine boards on the hill than I have ever seen there. Five of us were lapping buck together for a few hours and another three, sometimes four, were lapping behind us, so we even got a show while on the chairlift. That was definently the most fun I've had on the board, so hopefully we can make it happen again this season.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's kinda sounding like Crystal Mtn has been lacking in the alpine department lately.

Bohemia kicked ass... I was able to take a few drops and it was an awesome day. There was one picture of me taking just a short drop, but it wasn't that good of a picture, plus I don't have it yet... But I got about a 10 foot drop under my belt and that was pretty fun.

Searchmont was amazing. I was actually able to use my hardboots and board and it was such a rush. I think I really made some progress there. We couldn't have asked for a nicer day either.

So anyways, now that I got my fill of real hills (not really... not anywhere close) I'm comin back to crystal. I'm plannin on being there saturday and sunday, weather permitting, and I'll probably be alone. If the snow is at all hard I'll be on my alpine board, cheers and the north face normally, mabye some of the ridge. Buck and the like are usually too steep and/or choppy for me yet.

If the snow is crappy I'll be on my soft board and I can go down an ice face at 89 degrees on that without thinking twice, so I'll be all over the mountain on that. Eh, maybe I would think twice... But no more than twice!

Anyways, I'll be there, blue camry with a saris rack on top and two snowboards. Bright green and light grey jacket, black pants and helmet. Rossi xvas and raichle 123s or rossi budwieser board and blue rossi step-ins.

Lemme know.

Ben

Knoch, was that you going down the right side of Buck on sunday? Whoever it was was pretty good. It was a little choppy for me, but I could handle the left side alright.

Also riding up the north face lift I saw a series of trenches that just HAD to be from an alpiner. So I was just about to head down when another alpiner took off just before me. So I followed him down. He went and laid out one of those trenches and I just followed up. Didn't have enough speed to stand myself back up at the end, but he still saw and said "cool".

So if that person is here, nice trenches.

Sunday was beautiful.

I'm headin to Boyne with my brother and uncle (both skiers) tomorrow.