Note to New Members ×

Winter Park, CO

Brian

WP has fun trees and some of the best snow in the state. Money wise I think it is one of the less expensive resorts. The night life is limited though. It is short on serious steeps. Overall it is fun and entertaining, just be real about what it is that you are looking for in your vacation.

This place seems more like a small community with a great ski area than a destination resort with all of the ammenities.

I'm up in winter park 40 times per season. Parents have a condo and I have the season pass. Only have to pay for gas and food. Brian, I cant help you find lodging but I can tell you that WP is a great place. The connected Mary Jane has some of the best bumps I've ever ridden. Vasquez has some fine carving blues. There are a lot of catwalks, though.

Blue Bird & TVR

Does AMTRAK still have a convenient station at WP ??? Years back (before my time with the club) our club did a train trip to WP and said the logistics were excellent. I'm considering doing AMTRAK there just for the experience of a good ski trip without flying.

TVR... thanks for the stuff. I'm all bolted together and ready to hit the slopes. (or cornfields in the case of IOWA)

BJ - Amtrak has a stop in Fraser which is about five miles from the Winter Park Ski Area. The other train option is to take Amtrak to Denver then hop on the skier train that stops right at the ski area. If you get to the valley and need a ride somewhere, let me know... I would be happy to taxi.

Mopo and B Bird... let's ride! I check my email often.

Has anyone ridden or stayed at Winter Park CO, suggestions? aloha

Brian

if there's snow stick to MJ but if you're gonna go to CO why not go somewhere else, steamboat is not that far away, a little on the flat side but a WAY better place to ride IMHO

Bob and Dive... I agree. That's why I asked Brian why his decision was WP coming all the way from CA. Maybe there's other motives besides riding the best hill in the neighborhood. I lived in Steamboat and Vail most of my life and would choose either of those over WP (and you can't go wrong anywhere in Summit County) unless you are on a really tight buget or Aunt Velma lives here and you stay for free. If you have the luxury of choosing at the last minute... just see who has snow. Winter Park is a fun place to ride... but wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice if I had one to make coming from out of the area.

I was at Copper yesterday... suprised at how much they had open and the snow was pretty darn good.

Here is something that is just plain wierd... The ski train that runs out of Denver spends the football season in IOWA.

Last year I attended a few Hawkeyes games in Iowa City. To ease congestion around the stadium they arranged to have the train pick up people at an outlying parking lot and carry them to the game. The railroad tracks run right beside the stadium.

The first time I rode the train to a game I was totally freaked out by all the ski posters and mountain themes.

Small world!

a last note on WP. this year is maybe not the year to come. with no measurable snow in sight there's talk of some of the lifts being shut down due to poor snow cover. although i wouldnt really know what the conditions are like, i've been teaching everyday all day since the mountain opened.

but someone's been carving around the past few days, whoever you are(i saw a yellow board the other day outside the derailer) you're totally making me jealous.

:AR15firin fat, non-athletic people who want to learn to snowboard.

It's a sign BJ... get on the train... the train to carving salvation
:ices_ange Halleluja, Brother!!! I hear the train acomin'!!! I got's ta get me somadat ol'time religion! Can I get an AMEN, Brothers an' Sisters!:ices_ange

edit: heaven can wait til later... right now I gots ta get me some TURKEY!

Ak- I was out on sunday PM. It was a day that I wasn't bummed to be with the GF, there were enough people to make it frightening and add marginal conditions on top. Ended up being a day to make a few turns, a few adjustments and go to the Deraileur for a few drinks.

The next snows are coming!!! Just a matter of when.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 113095" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Rob Stevens</TD><TD class=alt2>I'm bleeding for you guys.

This could be a direct result of that Farmers Almanac thread, claiming 50% snows for Western Canada and 150% snows for CO.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That report looks backwards for current conditions