Note to New Members ×

Snowcat recommendations

gdboytyler

Has anyone snowboarded at a snowcat operation? I'm thinking about going to Baldface in BC, Canada next year. I would like to go this season, but it looks like they are booked until late March.

If I don't go to Baldface for a multi-day trip, I might hit up Steamboat Powder Cats when I visit my brother in CO next season.

From the promo videos, the terrain accessed by the snow cats look as good as the terrain accessed by helicopters, but cheaper and less likely to get skunked due to weather.

Any info/advice will be appreciated.

GdBoyTyler

--Not sure about that operation--but i have been to the cat operation in Revelstoke(wicked operation--good terrain)--any of the Bc operations are pretty awesome--they all have access to good terrain and snow......check out prices of them all---if you go to Revelstoke you could go to Kicking HOrse(golden)--cheap stay and ski packages(check the website) as well 1hr 45 away-----4000 vert---sick mountain---never busy--good luck

I boarded (on piste) with the lead guide at the Whistler place over Xmas, and that sounds pretty good for resort-based daily stuff.

The terrain is apparently similar to heli, although obviously you're more limited in where you can go in that you need a safe road for the cat to negotiate. I'm told that the main difference from heli is that it's very slow going up... I guess you'll have fewer down days as you can presumably drive when you can't fly.

Can't say I'm hugely tempted... once you've been hauled up a mountain in a helicopter anything else is just too slow. Visa card permitting of course.

Can't say enought good things about this op! We were there two or three seasons ago (their first full season). The terrain is second to none. The guides are very knoledgable about the area and the snow pack. did I mention the snow, it is great! the operation sits at a fairly high elevation (for the area) so the snow is light. they did not have the lodge set up when we were there, so you will get more riding time then in the past.

Another great thing, it is owned and op by a snowboarder (his wife was also a former Candian downhiller, she now boards as well). Also, Craig Kelly had an intrest in the operation from what we were told. If you do go, bring a rock for his memorial.

I beleive that Mark Faucet is guiding there this season, not bad company!

Make reservations now for next season, it is worth the price and you can hit Whitewater either before or after (another "best kept secret").