Note to New Members ×

Helmets

P06781

I know this has been asked alreadly.... But can anyone recomend several good helmets to look for to buy ???? I guess i am one the few that hasnt started wearing one ....but this year I will... Brands and specific models are helpful so that can look online or on ebay...

Thanks in advance.....JIM:)

There's some information here.

I think any helmet is better than no helmet, and they're getting pretty nice these days. Get one that fits--you won't even know it's on. I find my lid more comfortable than a toque (and mine's an old, heavy one!).

Hey Geoff, I wonder how many out there (that live outside of Canada) know what a toque is. I lived in BC (mostly Vancouver, and some time in Langley) for a couple of years and picked up on a lot of these terms quickly. I miss it - gotta get back up there for a visit!

Say, isn't that one of the things Bob and Doug wanted for Christmas - "Five Golden Toques!" The first, of course, was a "Beer in a Tree". Positively the best version of the 12 days of Christmas I've ever heard

Peace

Kirk

Take off eh'...

Those nobs horked our clothes...

Great movie...and being of canauck desent I know what toque is.

I've got an OVO helmet that fit my big Canadian dome better than the others out there. I agree with the other posts...fit and weight are the main factors not brand type.

I've had very good luck with Leedom. The quality is fantastic, the ventilation system unmatched, and the comfort is great (For my head!)

But first and foremost is fit and comfort: Find a 'melon can' that fits, and is comfy, or you'll be miserable on the snow.

Also, bring your goggles with you, as some goggles don't fit well with some helmets.

I like my Giro Ravine XXL. When I bought it a couple of years ago there was very little choice for those of us with big melons. My head measures 62 cm and it's long, so even helmets that claim to fit 62 don't. The Giro is a little tight but it works, and it's a damn nice hat to boot.

Toque, toque, toque. It's good to be Canadian. "Wool hat" is just so awkward.

Jim-http://www.cheapsnowboards.com/csstore.html I saw a Burton skycap for $35 and the MT-1 BX /Moto style full face for $50.I'm not a big Burton fan but they're good helmets for cheap. The MT-1 was $200 bucks full pop. I've run a Leedom for years but plan to get a full face.Everyone should wear a helmet....and an MP3 player.

Yeah, I guess I'm a bit of hoser. Loved livin' in BC - But comin from So Cal, it took a while to get used to all the RAIN. After a few months, I learned to love the climate.

I think they call it a bini or just plain ol' knit cap. I STILL call 'em a toque, but always seem to imagine mine with a little fuzzy ball at the top - just like Bob and Doug, eh?

As far a helmets, I have a Giro (not even sure model name or #) - got it in '98. It's still in pretty good shape (kept it clean, etc.). I've tried others, but the Giros fit me the best and were reasonably priced. I know some that ride with Leedom and really like the fit -a bit more$, but well worth it I hear. I haven't found any Boeris that fit me well. I would have to agree with the earlier post about fit, ventilation, and compatibility w/goggles. Some brands will work with some melons better than others. Most important - WEAR ONE!

Be safe

Kirk