Note to New Members ×

Sims burner197 too long?

snowboardfast

I would like to get a longer board for bigger turns on groomed only. I am interested in the sims Burner 197 because it is a good deal but I a thinking it might be too long. How would it compare to a 185cm board? I have heard that the Burners feel shorter than the actual lenght. Maybe I am wrong. I currently ride a Donek 167 race board on groomed runsand a Burton 171 Alp all over the mountain.The Donek is a great board but it feels short to me if I want to do real big turns. I weigh 195 and am 5' 10'' tall and have been riding plates since 1988.

while I've not rode a Burner I have some time on a Split tail...they do ride shorter than their true length because the tail is (alot) softer than the nose ...this does make it a bit easier to slide out the rear (not always what you want)

It's nothing really to do with aggression or ability....but the Burners are more prone to breakage.

Personally, I've never broke any of my split tails (rode for Sims for 2 years), but broke the 162s like little pixy sticks.

Juding from the pix above, those bindings are quite far backwards. Sims messed up the binding pattern and it was VERY common for guys to add another set of inserts. In general, you mount the bindings as is the rear edge ends about 2/3s down the split....give you a bit of a tail. Then again, whatever works, keep doing it.

I would stay with something in the mid 180's to get the feel of riding a board with more length. I think it's more comfortable to adjust to than going from a 171 to a 197. Follow Kent's advice and get the Prior WCR 185, and, with a Prior you don't have to worry about the tail snapping.

If I remember correctly, the Burner is designed so that you can stand closer to the nose, easier to initiate the carve, and the soft split tail makes it easier to come out of the turn. And, I think Fawcett left the Burner for Prior (I mean, umm... Burton) because the board is built better.

I broke a burner 188 on the heelside tail just before my first race of the season (that's where a quiver comes in handy!).

The board rode great up until the time it broke, and like the others said, it did ride 'shorter' than a non-split 188 because the tail flexes so easily. It also seemed to bounce more energy back to you, as you initiate the turn toward the nose, and then finish toward the tail, you could almost feel the board kick back to push you into the transition to the next edge-set - until it breaks.

Enter the Coiler split tail: Aluminum stabilizer bars that can be moved forward or back on the tail to change the boards carving characteristics AND strengthen the whole thing. One of my friends has been riding a Coiler split tail he bought used, and riding it HARD, and it's still going strong after more than 3 seasons. (I wrote about it in the thread about the coolest board ever)

At 195 lbs, you might break it, you might not. When mine broke the shop I got it from took care of me with a replacement so it didn't hurt too bad.

MT

Guest Randy S.

I had a Burner 197 last year. It was a fun ride. I was a little concerned about the possibility of breaking the tail (one friend broke his), but it didn't happen in the 6-8 times I rode the board. This year I replaced it with a Donek SG 210. I must say I really love the Donek. I rode it all day on Friday and it carves beautifully. It is a bit long to ride on a crowded slope, but otherwise it totaly outshines the Sims. One downside, a new Donek SG 210 will set you back $600. You can find a slightly used Burner for a lot less.