Note to New Members ×

Life Span of Burton Wind?

Guest Ghostrider

Guest Ghostrider

Does anybody know what the life span of a Burton Wind boot is?

I've got about 2.25 million vertical feet ridden over 2.5 seasons on mine and they have some wierd issues like the bottom part of the toe (silver part) is coming off and I cant figure out how it was attached in the first place, and also the shell is cracking right by the cable strap buckle.

Should I bust out the duct tape or bite the bullet and go with a new boot?

If the shell is cracking it's probably time for a new pair of boots.

As far a life span of a boot, from my own experience it seems to vary. I ride in the Fires and go through multiple pairs a season, I've had some that have lasted eight-to-ten weeks while other have broken within five days on the hill. Some times you get a peach, other times you get a lemon.

I had mine for two and a half seasons. At the end of last season I blew out the cant adjustment. The boot liners also packed out and were frickin cold. I picked up a pair of Af700 this season and they are so much better. The thermoflex liner makes them warm and form fitting.

I got just over a season and a half out of my last pair(fire).. I reply to this because my toe piece also came loose and then fell off... I found that it snapped over the toe of the boot and the screws merely kept the silver piece from shifting. My repair included weatherstrip cement and tape to hold it all together....long story short, two days later I lost the piece , never to be seen again..

Left me stranded with a poor fitted binding and no easy way down.....

I'm now the proud new owner of a pair of Deelux boots...world apart from the burtons, fit and feel.. Hope they last at least as long as the burtons did..

mine lasted from 12-dec-2001 to 24-Jan-2004. about 65 days on them. it was frikin' cold, probably -20C on and i found both toes had developed a crack from the small radius where the rubber seal piece slot ends all the way around underneath. i wonder what my chances of finding another pair are?

zaphod out...

Burton boots:

In my days, Burton boots were more solid then this, we didn't have Physics or even Intec thingamajig, just plain snowboard boots that clipped in standard plate bindings. I still wear my 1997 Burton Furnace, not a crack, still rigid enough, and to say I paid 350$CDN for those new! Just need a new liner eventually!:p

Seriously though, I've several post about recent Burton boots cracking and all, so I would guess you're not the only one. Maybe I'm right in the previous paragraph.

Head boots:

Those are really nice and really comfy, almost bought some a couple of months ago, but new boots do not fit in my budget. Head boots are made by the same OEM (Dalbello) as Burtons are if I'm not mistaken. I've read lots of good about Head boots though.

I bought the Head Stratos Pro boots last week. I have been riding in a pair of Burton Reactor boots for the last 4 or 5 seasons. My Burtons are still functional but the liners have grown thin (=cold) and they are starting to smell... bad. I was starting to think that the shells could fail on me anytime and leave me high and dry without boots. I may still buy a pair of liners for the old Burtons before I completely retire them. Anyway about the Head boots... I spent 1 full day in them at Mount snow. And about 2 hours in them last night. They fit my feet really well and were plenty warm and comfortable at Mount Snow (single digit temps). I also tried on a pair of the Deeluxe Indys and I thought the Head boots were just as comfortable. I like the buckles on the Head boots and don't like the "ratchet type" that Deeluxe uses. Plus the Heads have a walk mode. I thought my Burtons were stiff but the Heads are stiffer but they feel good. I haven't messed with the spring setting yet but I may loosen things up a tiny bit. The shell design on them is very, very similar to my Burtons. And the down side to that is that when I carve snow gets shot into the shell of the boots. I will do a full review on them after I've spent some more time in them.

Good luck.