Note to New Members ×

Head Statos Pro comparing to UPZ and DeeLuxe

groovastic

Supposedly both the new Heads and the new UPZ boots use plastic that keeps its flexibility across a much wider range of temps than models of a few years ago. Marketing hype or reality? You decide. I suppose they couldn't make the claim if there weren't at least a degree of truth to it.

The stiffness of any plastic used for shell molding will change with temperature.

Depending of the plastic used (and it's price !) the range can be more or less wide, but anyway, it's temperature dependant.

A possible way to reduce the variability is to use a spring system to control flex, instead of plastic stiffness / friction .

I have the newer Head Stratos Pros (2004?) and they don't seem terribly affected by temperature and I have been in some pretty cold weather (minus 35 Celsuis couple years ago!). The stock liners are pretty warm and comfortable (after some packing-in), which was a nice surprise so I didn't have to get thermos. I found the older Raichles more affected by temperature. Don't know about UPZ -- never even seen one in the flesh.

My Heads are modded with a spring system, which is something I would highly recommend.

Hi mnovak

I have the newer Head Stratos Pros and they don't seem terribly affected by temperature [...] My Heads are modded with a spring system

Sure that this is one reason which explain why the boots arenot affected by temperature. Stiffness of the spring is not temperature dependant.

Hi mnovak

Sure that this is one reason which explain why the boots arenot affected by temperature. Stiffness of the spring is not temperature dependant.

you are not right. sole length of raichles/deeluxe ****ty shells shrinks for over half the size (~5mm) when dropping from +10C to -25C. head plastic stays same length and same subjective stiffness.

Sole length of raichles/deeluxe shells shrinks for over half the size (~5mm) when dropping from +10C to -25C. head plastic stays same length.

I suppose you speak about thermal contraction. In this case, coefficient of thermal expansion is not very different from one plastic to another. So contraction should be quite similar.