Note to New Members ×

Colby College

Jack M

My wife just called me from route 95 here in Maine. She just drove past the

Brunswick exit, where there is one of those big green road signs that

says "Bowdoin College Exit Here" or something to that effect. However

today, there is a poster affixed to that sign that says "Colby Wait

List Exit Here".

Every year, 14 senior Yale men are selected to be in the Whiffenpoofs, the world's oldest and best-known collegiate a cappella group. Founded in 1909, the "Whiffs" began as a senior quartet that met for weekly concerts at Mory's Temple Bar, the famous Yale tavern. Today, the group has become one of Yale's most celebrated and hallowed traditions. :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-123-141842219159_thumb.jpg

Heh. Willy, I think my name is carved into a table at Mory's somewhere (that's the place I'm thinking of, right?).

Which of those Maine schools was the one where they finally made the Fraternity stop tethering a sheep in their front yard? And people wonder why we make the same jokes about Maine as others make about W. Virginia.

Q: Where was the toothbrush invented?

A: In Maine, anywhere else and it would have been called the teethbrush.

Every year, 14 senior Yale men are selected to be in the Whiffenpoofs, the world's oldest and best-known collegiate a cappella group.

College a capella groups are just about the lamest thing ever. I went to UNH, where they have the "New Hampshire Gentlemen". These guys thought they were gods gift to women and probably more than a few thought they were gods gift to men too. But in reality they were oblivious embarrassments to themselves and their family names. Anyone who wasn't a starry-eyed chick or in the drama program wanted to beat the snot out of these primadonnas. Maybe other colleges have a capella groups that are somehow less, um, uncool, but I can't fathom it. The NH Gentlemen made my skin crawl.

Ironically, I dated, lived with and almost married a Colby grad from Old Greenwich, CT about 10 years ago. Lots of alumni parties here in Boston(Beacon Hill, of course)black tie events, croquet matches and a summer house in Newport, RI with a bunch of really cool Colby-ites. Still, it just wasn't my scene.

Last night we had dinner with a bunch of people and met my wife's friend's father, Bill (from Limerick,MAINE), and had a very interesting conversation about http://www.oneperson.net/ and he's very involved in education in Maine. He's actually doing a press conference today about education funding and the fact that not enough kids in Maine are going to College.Super smart guy, former headmaster. and he enjoyed your joke about Bates, Jack. :rolleyes: well, sort of. :)