Note to New Members ×

Snowboarder to plead guilty . . .

Pat Donnelly

<TABLE class=headerPF cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=130></TD><TD class=small vAlign=bottom align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>spacer.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><!-- <headline>Snowboarder to plead guilty for resort death of Mass. woman</headline> <source>Associated Press</source> <teasetext>A teenager has agreed to plead guilty to criminally negligent homicide for crashing into a Massachusetts woman while snowboarding at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, attorneys in the case say.</teasetext> <byline></byline> <date>July 3, 2006</date> -->from_provider_ap.gifSnowboarder to plead guilty for resort death of Mass. woman

July 3, 2006

JACKSON, Wyo. --A teenager has agreed to plead guilty to criminally negligent homicide for crashing into a Massachusetts woman while snowboarding at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, attorneys in the case say.

Greg Doda, 18, of Crownsville, Md., crashed into Heather Donahue, 29, of Shrewsbury, Mass., while snowboarding down Laramie Bowl on Feb. 24, 2005, according to court documents.

Doda's planned guilty plea, announced Friday, will avoid a trial set to begin next month, according to defense attorney Robert Horn and Teton County Attorney Steve Weichman.

Doda hasn't appeared in circuit court yet, but Weichman and Horn said they planned to have Doda, who graduated from high school this year, appear in court for sentencing. He faces as much as a year in jail and a $2,000 fine. A sentencing date was not set.

"I think what is going to be extensive in this case is the sentencing hearing," Horn told Circuit Court Judge Timothy C. Day.

Investigators said witnesses told them Doda was going 35 to 60 mph when he crashed into Donahue, knocking her out of her gloves, skis and hat and throwing her 25 feet downhill. Doda told investigators he wasn't out of control, yet had no way of avoiding the collision.

Donahue died the next day.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/07/03/snowboarder_to_plead_guilty_for_resort_death_of_mass_woman/

http://www.jhguide.com/article.php?art_id=639

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familar with the situation, but I can think of plenty of instances where you can be in total control and not be able to avoid a collision.

I like how wittness say he was going between 35mph and 60mph. That's a pretty broad range. Being thrown 25 feet downhill is not that far, especially if it is steep, I wouldn't be surprised if the kid was going under the speed that the witnesses claim.

I'm not familar with the terrain where this occured, but in bowls and backcountry the normal trail rules don't always apply. It would be unfortunate if the woman put herself in a dangerous situation and now this kid has to live with a criminal record.

Or the kid could be a total indiot and ended up killing someone by showing off and not paying attention.

I didn't even read the links when I wrote my first post. Apparently they took a year to file charges. That and a video of the accident lead me to believe that the kid was probably in the wrong and hopefully he has learned a lesson that will stay with him.

but I'm sure that the kid is thinking of his future the charge isn't too bad and they penalty isn't that steap (relatively speaking). Laramie bowl isn't the toughest bowl (between the Tram and the Sublette Quad below the cliffline) but it ain't any easy run either. It's also pretty steep so the fact that she only went 25' it sounds like she was in a blind spot (stupid) and he really didn't have a choice but hit her. I can understand his position...it sucks to be cruising along and have someone appear in front of you and you can't not hit them. Sadly if they are stopped no matter how stupid the stopping place it's the moving persons fault.

Its a shame that some one died, But people die in collision on or in lots of "vehicles". Also this statement seems a bit odd?

"Doda allegedly rode his snowboard in a manner that was a “gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would exercise,” according to the charge."

I wonder who a reasonable person is? Also if you are riding bowls you would assume the ability of "a reasonable person "would be above average. I have known Jermey Jones for a long time and think he is a reasonable person...He just happens to be a backcountry ninja but he is reasonable?

I can't help but think of the large influx of below average riders adventuring into bowls and backcountry steeps and causing nothing but problems and creating hazards stopping in sluff and slide paths under huckable rocks, In tree shots, etc....

Just this year alone I watched hundreds of sliders walk into BC hikes right past signs that read"you are leaving the resort, unpatrolled and prone to avalanche conditions. All skiiers should have a becon, probe, shovel, a partner and the ability to use all". Still I as the experanced safe guy has to be extra careful not to be in the wrong place when the Kook above me traverses a 60 degree chute that slides into the runout because he wanted to go home and tell his office friends about the sick BC he hiked to on vacation. I have even over heard kooks in bars bragging about walking through signs that warn of death with out any of that "stupid gear" the sign talks about and how They have only been sliding for a year of two but had no problem "Making it down the stuff the pros ride"

Its those kooks that kill people if the sixteen year old kid was behaving in such a manner then it truley is his fault. But if he was pointing some open bowl after making sure its clear and then some one traversed into the middle whos to blame?

I am of course aware of the responability of all sliders and the code we all must follow, But perhaps its time to rewrite the Code to protect all sliding not just when marked trails are involed?

But if you are riding a bowl and you should not stop where you block a trail or out of site perhaps the same should apply to a open bowl that is nothing but a big trail?

Also, come on how reasonable are you at sixteen?

:rolleyes:

I hiked a lot when I was younger and had time to burn. I was a whole lot better a snowboarder then than I am now (or I was braver and dumber) I remember dropping into bowls and if I screwed up...well it was my fault (to this day I know my knees are sore in the morning because of the cliffs I dropped in Jackson and Grand Targhee). I took responsiblity for my own actions then and I do now. That includes getting the hell off the trail when I fell or even when I stopped to rest. these days people stop in the midle of the trail and then wonder why people yell (if their lucky) or hit them as they hang out on the downhill side of a fall away turn. Sorry I didn't mean to rant but the more I read and think about this case the more I think this kid is getting screwed

Here's the code:

1. Ski under control and in such a manner that you can stop or avoid other skiers or objects. Excessive speed is dangerous.

2. When skiing downhill or overtaking another skier, you must avoid the skier below you.

3. You must not stop where you obstruct a trail or are not visible from above.

4. When entering a trail or starting downhill, yield to other skiers.

5. All skiers shall use devices to prevent runaway skis.

6. You shall keep off closed trails and posted areas and observe all posted signs.

The Skier's Responsibility Code is endorsed by The American Ski Federation, National Ski Patrol, United States Ski Industries Association, Professional Ski Instructors of America, Cross Country Ski Areas Association, United States Ski Association, Ski Coach's Association, and other organizations.

I hear all the time people calling out that the downhill person has the right of way, but that is NOT always the case, note #3 and #4.

Guest dragon fly jones

Man that is a tough call Bill you made so points as did Pfe. I know that that I have seen enough collisions to know that there is a shared responsibility in most cases. Other cases that person needed their ass kicked and others where oooooops I cannot belive that this happened.

The keys are to always be in control and have your head on swivel and throw it sideways when entering any area on the hill.

I have no clue as to what REALLY happened ( most if not all iof us have no clue) so to offer more commentary other than to say very sorry for the loss and feel bad for the charges against this kid, we all need to recognize the inherent risks invovled, driving, riding bikes, boards or not turing and looking when crossing the street, we all risk injury at all times. Force majure people. It's arm chair quarter backing to say or comment on what happened but I like what I am reading. No major flamming and civilized discourse. Well done boys and girls. Keep the positive stuff going and we can make some clear comments and have an eductaed session on this.

Its a shame that some one died, But people die in collision on or in lots of "vehicles". Also this statement seems a bit odd?

"Doda allegedly rode his snowboard in a manner that was a “gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would exercise,” according to the charge."

I wonder who a reasonable person is? Also if you are riding bowls you would assume the ability of "a reasonable person "would be above average. I have known Jermey Jones for a long time and think he is a reasonable person...He just happens to be a backcountry ninja but he is reasonable?

I can't help but think of the large influx of below average riders adventuring into bowls and backcountry steeps and causing nothing but problems and creating hazards stopping in sluff and slide paths under huckable rocks, In tree shots, etc....

Just this year alone I watched hundreds of sliders walk into BC hikes right past signs that read"you are leaving the resort, unpatrolled and prone to avalanche conditions. All skiiers should have a becon, probe, shovel, a partner and the ability to use all". Still I as the experanced safe guy has to be extra careful not to be in the wrong place when the Kook above me traverses a 60 degree chute that slides into the runout because he wanted to go home and tell his office friends about the sick BC he hiked to on vacation. I have even over heard kooks in bars bragging about walking through signs that warn of death with out any of that "stupid gear" the sign talks about and how They have only been sliding for a year of two but had no problem "Making it down the stuff the pros ride"

Its those kooks that kill people if the sixteen year old kid was behaving in such a manner then it truley is his fault. But if he was pointing some open bowl after making sure its clear and then some one traversed into the middle whos to blame?

I am of course aware of the responability of all sliders and the code we all must follow, But perhaps its time to rewrite the Code to protect all sliding not just when marked trails are involed?

But if you are riding a bowl and you should not stop where you block a trail or out of site perhaps the same should apply to a open bowl that is nothing but a big trail?

Also, come on how reasonable are you at sixteen?

:rolleyes:

From your post you seem to think Larmie bowl is some sort BC bowl. It's actually just a wide open but quite steep (and usually bumpy) marked blue piste, of course your rule about the woman slowly traversing into the middle right infront of a responsible rider still applies. :D

From your post you seem to think Larmie bowl is some sort BC bowl. It's actually just a wide open but quite steep (and usually bumpy) marked blue piste, of course your rule about the woman slowly traversing into the middle right infront of a responsible rider still applies. :D

I seem to remember that it was one of those bowls that attracted kooks who really didn't belong on terrain that steep. As for the Skier Code everyone forgets #3 and enforces #1 & #2 when it's not your fault...most serious injuries/fatalities that I have heard of from collisions on ski slopes have been because someone didn't follow rule number three

most serious injuries/fatalities that I have heard of from collisions on ski slopes have been because someone didn't follow rule number three

like when that course worker wandered out onto the track a while back? female ski racer hit him at full speed while she was in the air?

clearly his "fault"...shouldnt be any different if someone drifts into or stops on the middle of a run.

like when that course worker wandered out onto the track a while back? female ski racer hit him at full speed while she was in the air?

clearly his "fault"...shouldnt be any different if someone drifts into or stops on the middle of a run.

Totally different set of rules apply on a race course closed to the general public.

On an open trail you must anticipate that the person in front of you will do the unexpected.

its different, yes, but in a way it isnt.

if I am cruising down a slope, and go over a roller and there's a person there and I hit them, anyone who says I am at fault is an idiot.

it is nearly impossible to "anticipate" what someone is going to do, and completely impossible when you cant see them.

I dont know the specifics of this case. It is really, really sad that someone died in this, and it sucks when people "only" get hurt, but the question of "fault" is a shaky one, imo.

Totally different set of rules apply on a race course closed to the general public.

On an open trail you must anticipate that the person in front of you will do the unexpected.

yes and no...the great thing about Jackson Hole is that it has some of the easiest (to get to) lift serviced "extreme" terrain in North America...the problem with Jackson Hole is that it is very easy for kooks and morons to end up on slopes what will kill them. Back when I rode in JH we always had one guy who went down the trail/bowl/line slow and insured that the way was clear of such kooks before any of us did the hero thing but that only insured that the way was clear for a short area...if so fool got in our way? I can think of a number of times I almost mowed someone down because they weren't paying attention to thier surrounding and or were in over their head. Like yesterday at the skatepark when I drilled a kid on a BMX Bike in front of his parents. The kid rode behind me on my backside I never saw him until I was headed down from a big air. My 225lbs in full pads and helmet slammed into his 70lbs and 35lbs bike...guess who won? His dad was ready to kill me until he realized that.

1) I was bigger and older than he thought (and I didn't do it on purpose)

2) The bike was broken and I wasn't

3) Bikes are not allowed in the skatepark PERIOD

4) There was a cop also skating who told his kid to stay out (not often my a$$ is saved by the MAN)

5) All the rules were posted above my head as I was listening to this idiot rant.

People ignore rules and then expect the world when their ignorance costs them something...sorry I don't have any sympathy if your skills are such that you can't negotiate the terrain or that you get hurt then you don't belong there in the first place

I guess I might wind up an idiot for saying this then...

If you're wide-open over blind rollers, eventually you're going to get cleaned up.

It might not be "your fault" because people aren't supposed to stand there, but they do, drop-jawed all the while, breathing through their mouths.

The only reason I tend to shut off before launching is because I expect people to stand in the dumbest places. "Chopping the throttle" can be a hard habit to break, even while heli-ing or snowmobiling where you can be 99% sure no one is going to be "down there".

When I was a kid, however, I didn't give a **** where you were standing.

if I am cruising down a slope, and go over a roller and there's a person there and I hit them, anyone who says I am at fault is an idiot.
I guess that makes me an idiot, because in my book you're both at fault. It's your responsibility to make sure any jump you take is clear. That person may not even have been at fault - he might have fallen, or was simply slow clearing out of there.

I didnt say anything about jumping.

I have completely lost count of the times where people were stopped in the most idiotic of places. YES, one should check that a run is clear, or the landing of a jump, etc.

so yes, both at fault, and no youre not an idiot.

Speaking of skateboarding in the park, it does get crowded at times, and crashes are inevitable. Some kid went straight for me as I came back down from the tranny. Guess who won the bump? me -- 200 lbs 5'11, him -- 85 lbs, 5'0. I silently cursed "Dammit I should have skate at a better time."

I certainly see the correlations between skatepark and ski resorts. If it gets crowded, accidents are bound to happen per se with higher probability rate.

Speaking of skateboarding in the park, it does get crowded at times, and crashes are inevitable. Some kid went straight for me as I came back down from the tranny. Guess who won the bump? me -- 200 lbs 5'11, him -- 85 lbs, 5'0. I silently cursed "Dammit I should have skate at a better time."

I certainly see the correlations between skatepark and ski resorts. If it gets crowded, accidents are bound to happen per se with higher probability rate.

Yeah I call it the law of gross tonage... :AR15firin

This topic reminds me of a bad experience I had a few years back with nailing some girl over a series of rollers. I was on a trail that was totally rollers, and I was just cruising down the trail. Not steep, and for all I knew I was the only person on the trail.

Minus the girl and her friend who were sitting on the far side of a roller for at the very least 30 seconds, as I never saw either of them until I was on top of them. There was little I could do to avoid a collision at that point and tried avoiding her but my shins slammed into the back of her head, sending me tumbling and her on her back. Oddly enough, she was able to walk down the slope just fine (we were near the bottom and she didn't want to get ski patrol) whereas I was laid out for a few days with a sprained ankle. I just thank god it was my shin and not the board's edge that colided with her helmetless head.

Do I consider myself at fault because of what happened? No. Were her and her friend not sitting on the far side of the roller laughing, I would have been able to see them and avoid a collision. I was riding perfectly in control, but there are some things that are just unavoidable.