Note to New Members ×

Mountain Biking Recs.

Justin A.

So uh...Yeah I was looking for the cycling thread to post this in, but I can't find it...maybe they just cleaned out the forums or something? Well, anyway. Im went out for a bikeride today with a few of my friends and realized that my bike is a HUGE POS. Yes, it was awesome when I was 11, but now that Im a bit bigger and actually riding things that require a real bike, I need a real bike. This was my first ride since last summer, but certainly not the last (we're going again tomorrow). Basically, I need something lightweight, durable, preferably with a full suspension, and most importantly, not st00ped expensive. Im completley in the dark on brand names and everything, so anything you guys can tell me would be great. Thanks alot!

________

Oregon medical marijuana dispensaries

What is your budget?

If under $1500, don't even look at FS......you would be better served with an upper=end hardtail.

If over $1500..you have plenty of options. The "big" one being a XC machine or an All-mountain bike. Of course...you can get a "freeride" bike also.

For general trail riding/single track/racing/etc that won't break the bank, it's hard to beat a Santa Cruz Superlight from Colorado Cyclist for $1500..and replace parts as needed. Perhaps the most written-about bike over at www.mtbr.com

If the budget is considerably more...many more options.

Take a ride into MA and check out Wheelworks, they carry the largest selection in the area and the sales people know their stuff. I would stay away from any shop in NH I have not found a good one in the 15 years I have lived here. The great thing about Wheelworks is the bikes are built up and pretty much tuned to ride, so they let you take them out for a real test ride. If money is no issue look no further than Seven built in MA. Check out wrenchscience.com for a good price guide and they let you build it yourself online. Personaly, I love my Dean! Have you ridden up at Bear Brook or Masabiesic yet? Some good close in S. NH places to go.

Paul

I don't know your price range but most 'average' bikers can be served by a Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc... They are bigger companies that can give you more bang for your buck. Check out Marin, because they don't have a big advertising budget they can offer excellent bikes at good prices. But if you can give me more specifics like:

1 - what is your price range

2 - what kind of riding are you going to seriously be doing most of the time

3 - what do you want a bike to do

4 - etc....

I can go into more detail once you give me more information.

Ok...#1 Price Range

Preferably under $1000, but maybe like...+$200/250 for a significant performance boost.

#2 Type of riding

Yes. Yesterday I did about 10 miles of trail riding/bushwhacking/woulda been rock hucking if I had a suspension. Today, I did about 15 miles on roads and packed trails, probally more on the bushwacking/hucking side of things rather than the road side, but a suspension lockout feature like on the Specialized something or other that I looked at today would be awesome for roading.

#3 What I want it to do

Not break, be reliable, lightweight as reasonably possible, full suspension for hucking and some NASTY terrain (I considered riding down the face of a rock seawall today, then realized I would break my bike in doing so)...so yeah, basically be a good mountain bike and reasonably lightweight because I do enjoy the climb as well as the descent. Oh, and I want disc brakes, preferably hydraulic, but mech is no problem, they're simpler anyway.

#4 Ect...

I think I pretty much summed it up. Any other questions about what I want just post back on the thread.

Today I rode a Specialized something. Bottom of the line pretty much. The guy at the shop said that it was built on the old Stumpjumper(stumphopper maybe?) frame. I liked that one alot but it was $50 over my price cap and it didn't have discs. I also rode a cannondale bike at the same shop and I didn't like it nearly as much as the specialized, which had a suspension lockout on the fork and frame shock, which made it ride really nice kinda like a road bike, but bigger and heavier. Before I rode the duallys today, my choice had been a Marin B-17, but today I decided that I want the full suspension.

________

TOYOTA A ENGINE

Guest dragon fly jones

There are options - I am a big believer in the Santa Cruz products. Love them. However as a rule they are spendy.

For a comparable ride - check out a Jamis Dakar - good spec (parts) tough and reasonably light frame and disk brakes. Let your fingers do the walking on this one and you can find one cheap.

Some other considerations would be KHS - they come up with some cool stuff and at a reasonable price point.

GT also makes a decent series of bikes that ride well and at a fair price.

The great thing about cycling is if you have a good frame and fork you can up grade to your hearts desire. Don't like the wheels? Troll Ebay or Performance and hook it up, shifters a bit dodgy go from Deore to SRAM or XT. I am sure plenty of people have parts laying around and would be willing to help a brother out. I have some XT wheels, Chris King Wheels and some dead hoops that I can part with since DT came through once again. Just ask around.

The great thing about Trek and Specialized is that you can find them everywhere - that is also a minor drawback if your like most of us with custom tastes and a beer budget you've spent large on boards and skimp (a little on the bike).

Okay enough from me - time to clean up after a nice long ride. Oh and have fun finding your new ride.

I love Kona. Solid, beefy frames with great componentry (not sure if that's a word or not. if it isn't, well, it is now) and design. i've had my coiler for 3 summers now and it holds up so nicely to everything that I throw at it. I think their dog-matic sells for around $1200, and it's a great bike.

Have you ridden up at Bear Brook or Masabiesic yet? Some good close in S. NH places to go.

Paul

We went to Pawtuckaway on Monday, Odiorne and the seacoast tuesday, we're taking today and tomorrow off, then we're going to Bear Brook on Friday. Maybe Masabiesic on sunday.

Anybody have any input on Giant? I test rode one today and so far it was my choice of the crop. Last year's model so the shop is unloading it for $700 under MSRP, so there's a GREAT value there. Reliablility? Pimp factor? Servicability?

________

Buy Roor Bongs

We went to Pawtuckaway on Monday, Odiorne and the seacoast tuesday, we're taking today and tomorrow off, then we're going to Bear Brook on Friday. Maybe Masabiesic on sunday.

Anybody have any input on Giant? I test rode one today and so far it was my choice of the crop. Last year's model so the shop is unloading it for $700 under MSRP, so there's a GREAT value there. Reliablility? Pimp factor? Servicability?

I'd say go for it......Giants are well made. If you like it and the price is right, then it's the bike for you....

Try to resist the guys here that recommend these multithousand dollar bikes, they're just really enthusiastic about your riding.....

For the price range you're looking in, I would recommend either GT or Iron Horse. I have bikes by both companies. My GT frame is super light, but if you're buying on the low end they tend to get cheap with the componenets, but easy enough to upgrade, and good enough to use for now until they break.

So my friends and I went out for a ride today (I still haven't gotten a new bike so I was on the "awesome" old one). The drivetrain has always given me trouble, jumping in and out of gear, slipping during climbs, ect., but today the chain kept getting caught between the crank and the front derailleur. Then, about a mile and a half into the ride, my rear derailleur self destructed. AWESOME. Heres some pics of the destruction, pretty good, eh?

________

STRAIN INDEX

post-141-141842218639_thumb.jpg

post-141-141842218642_thumb.jpg

I like the ducktaped stand. Maybe you could just remove it...

I can't get at it without removing the rear wheel, plus I don't have an allen key big enough to fit the bolt holding it on :( I would love to take it off, but today it was being a bigger problem than normal and falling down after hopping parking blocks and onto bridges and stuff, so tape was the quick fix. My other option would be to cut it off, but my dremel is KIA as of a year ago. Plus, the duct tape gives me that killer "custom" look.

The pulley screws loosening is a good theory for the loss of the pulley, but the biggest thing is the derailleur facing the wrong way now. There was a stop there to keep it from inverting, but it managed to get past it. Whatever, new bike soon anyway.

________

Bmw E9

Honestly, I wouldn't put too much money on your bike. This is a low quality steel frame (I know by the way the dropouts are made), to you can't put a better derailleur than the cheapest Shimano. You can put skinny 26" tires for city use (it's what I do, I recomment flat proof Kenda Kwest or Specialized Nimbus). If you put road handle bars, you are still going to be at a disadvantage compared toa regular road biek because of the tire size (26" instead of 700 mm) and gear ratio. Like I said, it is good for a commuting bike (it will get you around anywhere in the city and it won't get stolen when you lock it anywhere) or a winter bike (components won't be expensive to change if/when they rust). If you want a road bike get a cheap road bike or a performance hybrid (both ~500-600$CDN) and you be much more happy and it will be more fun to ride (and faster).

I dont think I would do too many hucks on that thing unless you are looking for a core sample of your body when the frame brakes. See if there are any shops in your area (or even a bike co-op) that offers maintenance classes so you can learn to keep your ride in good running condition. Maybe you could turn the old heap into a single speed for commuting to keep the maintenance down as well. Spend a few bucks on some basic tools (cone wrenches, chain tool, hex wrenches, chain whip and freewheel tool that matches your drivetrain etc). Do a search for SS on line, there is lots of info and it is easy to do. Just did it to the Bontrager and it is a hoot!

Hey I was just at the EMS in Peterboro NH and they had some nice bikes out front with a 40% off plus I think they still qualify for the pick your sale sale they have going on now so another 20% off. Might be worth calling them to find out exactly what they have, I didn't take a good look.

Paul