Note to New Members ×

Host your own website on your home PC

Jack M

I've run Apache here on a PC for about five years now and it's incredibly fun and useful.

I've used dyndns.org (mentioned in the article) for the entire time and they are great to deal with both for registering a domain and DNS services. They are really cheap for the service they offer.

I also highly recommend 1stpage as a web authoring tool, too. It's just technical enough to make you think, without requiring you to be a programmer.

Don't forget to configure your router to forward port 80 traffic to whatever IP address the server actually is so you can get in from the outside :biggthump

I don't need anything at work but my music, so I grabbed slimserver off of http://slimdevices.com/ (which is free) and have that running on my home machine. It also provides a nice (if sometimes slow/too-reloady) winamp-style interface to your music library at your.ip.address:9000/. Then, at work, you can point your mp3 player (winamp, etc.) to your.ip.address:9000/stream.mp3 and listen to your own private streaming radio station.

Be sure to get the LAME mp3 encoder so slimserver can sample down your mp3s to a bitrate that your internet connection can handle - otherwise you're looking at lots of stuttering.

On a related note, since I have a dynamic IP address at home, the IP address I have to point at from work changes from time to time (if my DSL connection drops for a few minutes or whatever). Anybody know if there's any way to have my home machine report its ip address to me at work occasionally?

edit: Oh, never mind - looks like that dyndns.org link you guys posted does that service! Sweeeet.

It is so easy I have been doing this for the past five years with Linux, Apache, broadband and dyndns.org. Mine act as a router/firewall as well. My website is hosted at my friend's appartment (more bandwidth), but my server/router/firewall at home also serves as a file server for backup with 2 drives in a software RAID 1.

I'm running mine on Linux too, but it's a real hassle compared to Windows. If I wasn't running mail and other services (and doing it as a hobby) I'd just go with the Windows version of Apache, or at least try it for awhile and see if it crashes.

It depends on your Linux distribution and/or point of view. For me, Windows is a desktop OS, I wouldn't trust it to a server for several reasons. One of them is remote administration; I ssh to my Linux box, edit config files, restart services and voila. If you like to have a visual interface, Windows is ok, and so are modern Linux distributions. At the moment I have three headless Linux boxes at different places, two of them can be accessed through the internet for remote administration (the other is at my father's house and not connected to the net because he is on dialup).

That's kind of what I meant, if you want to do it as a hobby and take the time to set it up and secure it properly, a unix-like OS is impressively cool, and can do amazing things. For example: If I wanted to, I could make it send a message to my cell phone whenever anyone reads any of my posts here on Bomber. You can probably guess how :D

But for someone who just wants to run a home web server and not spend much time setting it up and tweaking it, I think they might be better off running it on a Windows PC (preferably one that isn't used for anything else). I'm talking about guys who just want to share family pics and things, maybe teach their kids HTML, stuff like that. They can just edit the files on the PC they are familiar with, with familiar editors, and not have to transfer them to a server.

Alternatively, if you're running OSX, you can go to Settings -> Sharing and check off the "Web Sharing" check box.

Also, if you're not on FiOS (or don't think 2Mbit is enough bandwidth), you can always find a cheap webhost like hasweb.com and just leave your files there. I pay $5.83/mo for 4GB of storage there, and they're not even the best deal out there. Sure, it's not enough space to store everything, but it is enough to hold a full iPod Nano worth of music.