Note to New Members ×

Congrats to Alpinegirl

Phil

hey man, thanks!!!

i had a total blast riding up at killington with folks and learned a lot. i think we saw maybe 6 trails over the course of 3 days and learned that that myth that you must be prepared for every weather condition possible is true.

hardboots. i wimped out and only rode them on the second day. passed all aspects of the exam that day, and had to accept that my front knee could not handle it anymore. super bummed by that. but hey, we were able to shed some light on some myths that day (switch riding seems to remain the biggest one).

i did receive some interesting feedback though. have a lot of things to consider as i continue on this journey. my choice of gear was questionned big time. i'm going to continue sticking with "it's a snowboard, let's go ride" for a good while longer. have a great deal of things to work on if i ever pursue my 3. although phil, i am definitely thinking we aught to collaborate on an article next season. ;)

hell ya! way to go. How many ppl here have their lvl 2s?

I just picked up my ASIA Level I in January. They had no problem with me riding a hardboot setup. As it was I only used it on one day of the four. And you're right, riding switch was a struggle. I had to go at a very cautious pace.

Congrats AlipineGirl!

congrats. glad to hear there are still other instructors out there who see riding as just fun. Isn't it funny how so many supposed "pro" instructors don't know it's possible to ride switch in hardboots? Makes you wonder how many people are being limited when they take a lesson because they're instructor is close minded to anything other than duck in softies.

Maybe one day AASI will learn from CASI and require hardbooting.

congrats. glad to hear there are still other instructors out there who see riding as just fun. Isn't it funny how so many supposed "pro" instructors don't know it's possible to ride switch in hardboots? Makes you wonder how many people are being limited when they take a lesson because they're instructor is close minded to anything other than duck in softies.

Maybe one day AASI will learn from CASI and require hardbooting.

i doubt they will ever require hardbooting because its just so rare that an instructor will have to teach someone on hardboots.

My understanding is that one of the main reasons instructors learn to ride switch is so they can do better demos for visual learners who ride the opposite stance. Riding switch, a regular footed rider can make moves that a goofy-foot student would make, and vice-versa.

It seems to me this approach works with low stance angles or riding duck. Do you think it is as effective a teaching aid when it's done on an alpine board with high stance angles and hard boots?

________

Washington Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Riding swith is an excellent technique to show kids balance on their hardboot setups. so many times they are focused on alignment and "proper" riding position, they forget about being balanced on the snowboard.

i oftentimes make the kids on my snowboard team ride switch- it's usually when there's too much "confidence" and trash talking going on while they are ridign the lifts! then it's switch time!!!

Riding swith is an excellent technique to show kids balance on their hardboot setups. so many times they are focused on alignment and "proper" riding position, they forget about being balanced on the snowboard.

i oftentimes make the kids on my snowboard team ride switch- it's usually when there's too much "confidence" and trash talking going on while they are ridign the lifts! then it's switch time!!!

I had a swim coach like you :angryfire

Too much goofing-fly intervals!

Of course I swam fly, so I didn't care.....

i doubt they will ever require hardbooting because its just so rare that an instructor will have to teach someone on hardboots.

My best client now is in hard boots, and either on his Eldorado or Swoard. So I log almost 3 week teaching just one client on alpine gear. There are a couple other instructors here at Snowmass who teach to selected clients on alpine setups too. You just never know.

And congrats to Alpine girl on level 2!

I am still a firm believer in the certification process, even though there is a complet lack of focus on alpine riding. I know the level 3 alpine I have has helped me tremendously in being able to analyze movement patterns, and then instruct accordingly, no matter what snow sport discipline.

i was about to start taking private lessons until i discovered how much they cost. My account was hovering around $10 for few months at that point and there was no chance for that happening. I did get help from steve fleck and occassionally bumped into some guys on the slope and they (especially steve) helped tremendously.

I could have gone for level 1 this year, but once I red the fine print (...to retain levels of rank, you must cough up 100.00 a year to be paid for such....)

EVERY YEAR ? ! I thought that was a bit insane and spendy for my needs. I'm going to do level 1 this year just to say I've done it. Perhaps level 2 next year.

Switch riding is indeed tough, but then again, I ride agressive stance, so I literaly ride "backwards". I guess I'll just have to set up a board goofy and ducked out this winter and improve enough so I can cruise steeps switch.

i have no idea why i am writing all this. i miss snowboarding already.

riding switch is fantastic for overall riding. regardless of stance angles, ride it as is. there is a reason why you ride those angles and hopefully it is because they are the best angles for you. my fault while riding switch during the exam was that i changed my alignment to see where i was going (silly me, bombing through all those people from the UK).

right now, AASI is a valuable resource for me, hence i am choosing to continue with it. i have learned a great deal through AASI and am glad that it has helped challenge my understanding of the sport. and although it is not a perfect "thing," i have been fortunate enough to see that there are people involved in the organization who are challenging it's current realization. hopefully it will never become stagnant. it was detrimental to my alpine riding for quite some time (because of how the info was presented. then i met vickery and had my head staightened out by someone else), but it has since encouraged me to learn more freestyle stuff (how far can you spin around on the nose of your race deck??)

join AASI if you find joy in sharing riding with people and can take it for what it is, a dynamic resource (read:excuse to travel to other areas)