Note to New Members ×

Non-Carving Forums

Pow

here we go again.

personally I think riding in hardboots is EASIER.

and Ive seen plenty of bad form and horrible riders in hardboots. doesnt make us better simply for havin rigid boots, often too-big/too stiff boards, etc...

hardbooting makes it so much easier, though i almost abandoned the idea and resigned myself to softboots the first couple times out there... i learned the hard way that hardboots take a while to break in. I would recommend used boots to anyone who has never done it before... although i personally think the concept of "used boots" is a little gross.

after the breaking in period, carving became so easy. and i have switched back to softboots on occasion to compare... its like trying to hit a baseball with a foam pool noodle.

I basically got laughed out of a MYSPACE snowboarding group for posting about the olympics and how it was nice to see hardbooters represented in SBX.... Granted the average age was 16, but still...

no way! they had to be like... 14:p (my age group takes no responsibility for the actions of morons)

on a more serious note, and back to the topic of discussion... i would never want hardbooting to go fad status like freestyle is. and kids like that is my reason. it seems that almost everyone in the 11 to 15 age group is way too immature to mix well with the winter sports culture. they would completely ruin alpine which is why nobody should ever preach it to the masses, just answer the questions of the curious.

One of the things that got me interested in hard booting was reading people like Mark Slinkster Bock and Jack Michaud writing about it in rec.skiing.snowboarding. That group had, and still has, a bigger proportion of hardbooters than a typical US mountain, and I think helps the "hardboot-curious" get started.

So yeah, I think pimping hardbooting in mainstream snowboarding forums, when done in a helpful, appropriate and non-confrontational way, is a good thing. "Pimping" is too strong a word - it helps to just write about it to increase its visibility.

On my local home turf, there is a few "bad form" riders in hardboots, but they are still "good" boarders in the aspect that they are doing it. There is also quite a few "awesome" hardbooters who were there early in March ( and actualy turned me onto this site while having a conversation on the lift ) who were phenominaly good and I rode with them for a few runs.

I was on my regular snowboard, but since I ride agressive stance, I still can carve quite angular and take on the steeps with a similar ride stance and weight transfer instead of relying on my feet as most of it is upperbody motion in leans.

I hope to be good enough to "teach" hardboot this winter... time will tell.

One of the things that got me interested in hard booting was reading people like Mark Slinkster Bock and Jack Michaud writing about it in rec.skiing.snowboarding. That group had, and still has, a bigger proportion of hardbooters than a typical US mountain, and I think helps the "hardboot-curious" get started.

So yeah, I think pimping hardbooting in mainstream snowboarding forums, when done in a helpful, appropriate and non-confrontational way, is a good thing. "Pimping" is too strong a word - it helps to just write about it to increase its visibility.

hit the nail on the head.

Dave: maybe ill catch one of your lessons this winter. ill be interested to see how others are riding. look for the guy with the shiney wooden topsheet:cool: and thanks for the mountain coaster info! looks pretty sweet.

for the guy with the shiney wooden topsheet

Hey Pow, would that happen to be an Arbor? I'm a huge arbor fan and have 3 of them.

As for 'pimping' or promoting hardbooting, a couple weeks ago I got to talking with a guy at my home mountain about carving he has seen all the carvers at Mt. Rose and is impressed and wants to learn. Turns out he is the director of the junior ski program and wants to arrange for some of us to do a demo next year for the kids.

The junior ski program is run by the city of Reno and is at a small resort that's owned by the city and is closed to the public. The whole place is dedicated to teaching kids to ski and snowboard.

I dunno if its me, but I've never got a bad attitude from a park monkey for being a hardbooter. They love looking at the gear and if their dad is there, he always says that he remebers "those from back in the day" and wanted to find some gear as well. I point him here. I could def use those cards though. Defintly a good idea.

Next year, when my gear is shiny and new, I'm hoping to turn more heads. I love the attention alpine gets you. Call me an attention whore. I defintly wouldn't want it to be mainstream. I think if the boards were to be mass produced, there would be a huge decline in quality.

I usually get mocked on TGR for wearing Hard Boots...

You ain't gonna convert those guys...all powder seekers anyway.

the maggots mock everything, love TGR , cracks me up, mostly.I agree Gleb, I enjoy people's fascination with something they can't quite comprehend that looks fun as hell.I had some chick leave a note on our car last w/e on the cape with a number and a request for "private lessons" on the kite.Called her back, she sounded cute and wasn't impressed when I explained that anything beyond lessons might upset my brasilian wife.......WIFE ???....doh. :rolleyes: I still got it, catch and release program.

TGR just plain rocks. Dave Hudasko does a great job promoting and a real down to earth guy. Lonerider, great stuff, man. Southwick is near me in Boston.

I can almost smell that delicious 2 stroke stink in the air, braaaaap !

Hey Pow, would that happen to be an Arbor? I'm a huge arbor fan and have 3 of them.

As for 'pimping' or promoting hardbooting, a couple weeks ago I got to talking with a guy at my home mountain about carving he has seen all the carvers at Mt. Rose and is impressed and wants to learn. Turns out he is the director of the junior ski program and wants to arrange for some of us to do a demo next year for the kids.

The junior ski program is run by the city of Reno and is at a small resort that's owned by the city and is closed to the public. The whole place is dedicated to teaching kids to ski and snowboard.

no, a pogo. i am also an arbor fan, though i dont own any. i would like to add an a-frame or an abacus to my collection.

id post for you a picture, but it has not arrived yet. they might be sending it from the US because someone there is visiting on a class reuinion so im waiting to see how that will go.