Note to New Members ×

Motorcycle Helmets

Justin A.

I've settled on a HJC CL-SP for me and a Z1R something or other for my girlfriend. I'll be getting a tinted shield, wearing my combat boots, and a pair of paintball gloves :confused: . Picking the bike up tomorrow :biggthump Any last minute words of wisdom? (I'm sure that Jack does...) Thanks for all the help!

________

MARIJUANA

Its my first bike, and its a Yamaha R6S (2005 model but new, so that it ISNT the stupidly fast '06 version.) I have a leather jacket although it isn't the best, its better than nothing. I have a decently sturdy pair of pants (also from paintball) with kevlar knees and hip/butt that should help SOME if (when) I go down. The gloves are similarly kevlar/leather palmed. I would love to go all out and go with the full motorcycle built gear, but Im breaking the bank on the bike, and I have enough left over for buy a pair of helmets. I'll be getting better gear as it comes into my price range, until then, Im going to drive like a granny on a crotch rocket :sleep: . I'll post a picture of the bike after I pick it up.

________

Marijuana Card

I'll skip my standard "Why Supersports are bad first bikes" rant.

If you can't afford the gear, you can't afford the bike; especially if you're just starting out. That said, go to http://www.newenough.com to find great closeouts on gear. Again, make sure to take the MSF course. What you learn there could very easily end up saving your life.

Everything that serious said above I'll second

Definitely the riding gear. And the MSF course was SOOOOOO worth the money. It will save your @ss.

I bought an old, cheap first bike, nice riding gear and took the MSF class to protect my @ss, but that was me.

If you have any means of getting decent riding gear I definitely recommend it. Even borrowing money from family if that is an option - I'll bet they would like to see you protecting yourself.

www.newenough.com is an awesome site. I just bought a pair of the Icon field armor knee/shin protectors to go under my riding pants. Get some kind of protection for yourself. Leather is best, but have something motorcycle oriented.

That R6 is no joke, don't be fooled by "only" 600cc's, that thing is a rocket. Learn throttle control, be alert, take it easy...so maybe one day we can meet on the road instead of the obituaries.

Once I felt comfortable on my bike, it was and still is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun. I just got back from a ride in the rain and damn it felt good. I am so hooked I ride all year unless there is snow on the road. One of these days I'll put a homemade snowboard rack on my bike "just because" it's that much fun. Take care of yourself!

I know that the R6 is no joke at all. I wasn't saying that the R6S isn't stooped fast, I was just commenting that the new R6 is just a race bike with blinkers and UBER uncomfortable. I have no intention to go mashing on the throttle for the forseeable future...I have a full and total respect for the bike and the road.

You guys have talked me into getting a pair of bike gloves. Will motocross gloves do the job or do I need a pair of street gloves? I only ask because the dealer Im getting the bike from has a HUGE amout of moto gear, but they're a bit short on the street gear. Plus motocross gear tends to be a bunch cheaper, which is what makes me nervous about the durability. I can either get a pair of street gloves for $70 or a pair of moto gloves for $30. But I don't know, which is why Im asking you guys.

________

VAPORIZER AFFILIATE PROGRAMS

I was just commenting that the new R6 is just a race bike with blinkers and UBER uncomfortable.
Funny, I thought that was basically what all the top-line 600s were, no matter the manufacturer. I'm no expert, but if I was looking to buy new for a first bike, I'd be thinking more along the lines of a Suzuki SV650. It just seems a saner, more comfortable choice, although still plenty fast enough to kill you. Maybe it's just because I'm old.

So I pay for the bike, tool around in the parking lot for about 30 minutes, then leave because its raining, then go back and tool around some more. Got my confidence up in the parking lotWow...nobody told me how hard it is to turn right out of a street. DOH! :smashfrea Im ok, the bike's ok, I took a chunk out of some guy's lawn, but everything is ok. After that...WOW! what good fun it is to ride a bike!!! Im getting there on the confidence level...couple more days and I'll be good to go! You guys convinced me to get a pair of bike gloves, and Im pretty glad I did with the mishap on the lawn. Thanks for all the help!

________

ARIZONA DISPENSARIES

I think you'd better park that bike until you take a course.

Indeed. I just rode up and down my street a few times, Im doing much better now than I was, but I would feel much better if I actually took the course. Im filling out the paperwork now actually. Hopefully I can get in to a state one...

________

Silversurfer vaporizer