Note to New Members ×

So Cal Base Grind / Tune?

rjnakata

There’s a guy...

There is a guy that works in the wax/tuning shop at Canyon Lodge at Mammoth. He’s a bit older than the regular crew of teenagers whom you are likely to encounter there. Anyway he’s been there for years and he knows about alpine boards, tuning and beveled edges and such. 

I’ve never used them but you might also look up Stick Docs. They’ve been around for a few years so I assume that they know what they are doing.

http://stickdocs.com/

Not sure if that’s much help but that’s all I got for California. If you have plans for Aspen, Gene Taylor’s at Snowmass has a good shop too. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hey John said:

I’ve never taken my boars there for tuning or waxing. But from what I’ve seen of the staff, if you walk in with an alpine/carving board they will think you are from another planet. Same for Val Surf, though I have gone there for waxing. 

Hmm, not what I wanted to hear...the "hey that's a cool old school race board" is not what I'm looking for.  I'll see about going in there and talking to them some.

I called Val Surf and they do not have a board width stone grinder (just a belt grinder).

So I brought my older Coiler VSR into Sports LTD, Woodland Hills, CA today as sort of a test tune.

I spoke with Doug who gave me a tour of their shop.  There was a nice Wintersteiger stone grinder and ceramic edger.  They have different stones/structures available. He sounded like he knows what he's doing and used to ride an alpine board  back in the day (he did think my board was a mono ski for a second however).  It doesn't sound like they see alpine often, if ever. 

I get the board back in a week and will report.  I'm hopeful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sports LTD did a pretty good job in my opinion and I would take my other boards there.  The "medium" base structure is uniform and looking good (be sure to remove any stomp pads for greater uniformity of finish).  I might opt for the "heavy" finish next time for warm weather performance.

The ceramic ground edges are likewise well done with the characteristic surface waviness that I'll need to remove with a stone.  

The board was completed in 1 week as promised. 

I asked for:

Ceramic edges: 2* side edge with 0.5* base edge

Medium stone grind, no wax, no detune

The main thing is there was no damage, no mess ups; all looks good.