Note to New Members ×

Donek Secret 175 & 185 review

Corey

I had the pleasure of riding two Donek Secret boards in Aspen; a 185 and a 175. 

The 175 was ridden on a soft groom day, and it's probably too soft for my 190 lbs. It was very playful and eager to turn tight if wanted. 

The 185 was ridden on firm groom. This is a serious board. All business, it's not really interested in being playful. But, you set an edge aggressively and it'll do what you ask, practically ignoring hard or lumpy snow in the process. If you get passive or in the back seat, it'll just go straight and fast. I got scared of speed way before the board did. I get why you'd want something like this for racing, but I found it a little tiring to freecarve for hours on end as you have to be commanding it all the time. That's why there are race boards and there are freecarve boards. ;)

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2018 at 9:25 AM, Corey said:

I had the pleasure of riding two Donek Secret boards in Aspen; a 185 and a 175. 

The 175 was ridden on a soft groom day, and it's probably too soft for my 190 lbs. It was very playful and eager to turn tight if wanted. 

The 185 was ridden on firm groom. This is a serious board. All business, it's not really interested in being playful. But, you set an edge aggressively and it'll do what you ask, practically ignoring hard or lumpy snow in the process. If you get passive or in the back seat, it'll just go straight and fast. I got scared of speed way before the board did. I get why you'd want something like this for racing, but I found it a little tiring to freecarve for hours on end as you have to be commanding it all the time. That's why there are race boards and there are freecarve boards. ;)

Is SCR on secret same as Rev in respective length? I didn't see any detail on the specs on Donek's website (I guess that is why "secret"). How did it compared with Rev? I guess it is more damp.....

Maybe if the secret had closer SCR (13-17 as example), it maybe fun as freecarving board. I have ridden 180 Rev with stock spec and 185 Rev with 13-17 SCR. I felt 185 Rev was more nimble and fun to carve than Rev 180 with stock SCR. 

I think the sidecuts are identical between the Rev and the Secret.  

Both Secrets were VERY damp.  With the little hook in the tail sidecut, it can give you a bit of that recreational pop if you load the tail, but otherwise it's just all about the business of getting you from one point to another.  

• Like 1