Note to New Members ×

AC seperation

Bobby Buggs

I managed to hurt my shoulder's and Achilles' heel joints on the last day of season, aswell. Fell on shoulder on the first run of the day and injure my leg on the forth. When looking back now I can't really believe that I could hurt it with a plastic boot :freak3:
Feel lucky, last season Randy blew out is Achilles' tendon early in the season in hardboots. While I think hardboots definitely give you more support, I think it's a very bad habit to depend on hardboots versus softboots for protection against injury or as a crutch for an existing injury.

I just want to emphasize the importance of proper leg strengthening for injury recovery AND prevention. For the recover side, you should be doing physical therapy several times a week and it should be intense (you should be almost to the point of tears). For prevention, you could be doing joint stabilizing exercises at least once a week (could be simple as standing on a balance board while watching TV). If you do this, not only will you be must less likely to get injured (it's always a possibility of course), but I think you will notice a dramatic improvement in your riding. You won't need those super stiff tongues and locked forward lean system for your toeside turns as your ankles are the best natural forward adjusters! On the flipside, I've also been wearing more body armor when I ride.

It just seems like that there is a disproportionate number of people getting seriously (i.e. out for the season... a level 2 AC separation is minor) injured and clearly that's a bad thing.

I agree, we need to be careful about our offseason conditioning...I've seen a bunch of Achilles tendon injuries in my life-the ironic thing is primary treatment is splinting-which the hardboot does, but they are all associated with lack of a good conditioning and warmup, AKA stretching, program....

I always knew when intramural softball season was about to start in the USAF from the Achilles tendon injuries....

This has been some interesting discussion. Thanks for all the insight.

As far as this being dangerous I have not gotton seriously injured while actually carving in what I call the East coast style. $h!t you are so close to the snow and flexed its actually safer I think than stand up free riding.

This is what I had happen.grade3_acrosep.gif

In not sure if the second set of ligiments went entirely but we do know they are partially toast.

I am feeling much better 1 week after and hope to be able to swing a golf club by the end of the month. Im Not even thinking about softball for the summer leagues I usually play in, but hope to get back with my team in the fall.

You will be just fine, though you can probably eliminate dips from your list of favorite exercises. I did mine in back in '98 and I have full strength and range of motion, my shoulder is just a little funky looking. My primary care doc at the time told me that the operation to repair it would be purely cosmetic. You will still be able to swing your softball bat.

Happy Healing,

mario

Thanks Mario, that sounds promising. I can see how dips will be a problem. Im going to start rotation exercises with no weight next week. I am not going to rush it but I dont want to loose all the muscle in my right arm all together.

Things have already started to wither after just 1 week :eek: