Note to New Members ×

ski boots for carving

willywhit

Hey Willy,

Gettin' a little possessive...aren't we? I thought this was a "public" forum?

sorry jeff but I posted a question about some boots I knew very little about and some little pipsqueak posts his cute little horse flogging.I choose not to divulge my source and guess who chimes in ? I work with enuf of these little troll types, you know the kind that will send anonymous angry emails and snicker behind thier keyboard.he knows what I'm talking about. Evidently, tex, bob and pat had some good input about the boots and I ended up buying them.

Hey Willy,

I know a few years back, Mark Fawcett and a bunch of guys on the canadian national team (not Jasey) were riding with heavily modified technical ski boots. They were orange and looked to have some carbon on the front. The mods involved adding a more flexible lean mechanism (kinda like the Burton spring system), took out some of the stiffening plastic inserts and then put in a set of thermo liners and booster straps to soften up the feel.

If you email Mark (check CSF website www.csf.ca) or do some internet searching, you may find enough info on the required mods.

Just a thought,

Gord

Hey Willy,

I know a few years back, Mark Fawcett and a bunch of guys on the canadian national team (not Jasey) were riding with heavily modified technical ski boots. They were orange and looked to have some carbon on the front. The mods involved adding a more flexible lean mechanism (kinda like the Burton spring system), took out some of the stiffening plastic inserts and then put in a set of thermo liners and booster straps to soften up the feel.

If you email Mark (check CSF website www.csf.ca) or do some internet searching, you may find enough info on the required mods.

Just a thought,

Gord

Thanks Gordo, great link to the canadian team(esp.Alexa Loo, she's awesome)I wish I rode at a level where I needed to modify my boots for racing.I'm planning on getting that little shock absorber spring thing Fin sells for my new AF 700s.Looks like you can dial in the rebound and stiffness in the flex.I'd be interested in seeing those mods tho if anyone dredges them up.I'm not enuf of a techno weenie to stress over minor mods, just keep it simple, ride hard and fast.Since you brought it up, I met fawcett at sugarbush 10 years ago and he's such a chill guy.chatted him up about windsurfing the gorge for a half hour and never mentioned alpine snowboarding.The guy gave me an open invite to crash at Hood River in thier "circus tent" digs and now he's big into kitesurfing.I still have his email but haven't talked to him in years. he's gotta be pretty busy, coaching and cranking out Fozzboards and he's gonna be a dad soon if not already.

Thanks Gordo, great link to the canadian team(esp.Alexa Loo, she's awesome)I wish I rode at a level where I needed to modify my boots for racing.I'm planning on getting that little shock absorber spring thing Fin sells for my new AF 700s.Looks like you can dial in the rebound and stiffness in the flex.I'd be interested in seeing those mods tho if anyone dredges them up.I'm not enuf of a techno weenie to stress over minor mods, just keep it simple, ride hard and fast.Since you brought it up, I met fawcett at sugarbush 10 years ago and he's such a chill guy.chatted him up about windsurfing the gorge for a half hour and never mentioned alpine snowboarding.The guy gave me an open invite to crash at Hood River in thier "circus tent" digs and now he's big into kitesurfing.I still have his email but haven't talked to him in years. he's gotta be pretty busy, coaching and cranking out Fozzboards and he's gonna be a dad soon if not already.

Ya Fuzzy's a pretty solid guy. I actually met him at a hill a number of years back while riding in New Brunswick (atlantic canada). He caught up to me and asked if I'd like to ride with him cause he liked my turns and style (what a huge ego boost for a 16 year old racer!). We rode all afternoon, tons of fun!

As for Fozzboards, I was in whistler talking to Prior and sounded like since it was an olympic year, no Fozzboards this year (he makes them at the prior shop...FYI).

On another note, willy, I think you managed to out-bid me for those AF700's the other day!!! grrrr have fun with them!

-Gord

• 6 months later...

Willy , got them at SNC ? The 180cm ? Should be a great ski. I have a couple of their bigger pow skis. The Pocket Rocket 185cm and now the AK Launcher Swallowtail 195cm.

Used the Technica TNS for years, I have always like the flex, used them snowboarding also. I would agree with what Pat says, they are pretty stiff for alpine , however it can certainly be done. It is nice to be able to swap boards quickly. The TNT is a stiffer version and they did make the ICON in black on a very limited basis I hear. Going Marker bindings? Sounds like you willl have a great set up for cheap!! Enjoy!!

Not familiar with the Salomon 1080s but I do own a pair of Salomon Hot Screams with the integrated Pilot bindings. I took a bump clinic on our club trip to Taos (what else are you gonna do at Taos - boarding not allowed!). Honesty compels me to admit that I suck in the bumps so my opinon on the boards is worthless. Having said that, I find that as midfats go they are hard to initiate a carve. Once you stomp on them they can cut a clean arc.

I tried my Technica Icons at Keystone on a Hot Shine 154 cm board a few years ago and had an awful time. They were way too stiff. Maybe it would have been easier if I had loosened the top two buckles.

The Icons are great for racing though. Here's a shot of me wearing them while training at Steamboat last March. This was just before the third surgery on my right knee and I couldn't get low on turns to the right. Post surgery my knee (now 59 years and 50 weeks old) feels great. Can't wait for the racing season (boarding and skiing)!

2ywg40y.jpg

comes with the fact that I don`t have much choice. I`m a ski instructor at Mt. Cascades and I usually do one hour lessons. Whenever my student (if thats what you wanna call it) doesn't show up its too much trouble going to change my boots only to get a few runs on the board then go back in to change again to get back on skis for the next lesson. Thank god for raceplates..... I just untie by boots as loose as they'll go, strap the board on and start bombin`. I know its not the best... feels a little funny at first but once you get used to it its not so bad...... if you find a pair of ski boots that tickle your pickle just leave 'em as loose as you can and ride anyways (obviously not to the point where you can be ejected of course)