Note to New Members ×

Cruddy mushy yucky choppy slop!

TrenchDigger

I went to Snow Summit yesterday to get some much needed aggression out in the form of carving some deep-asss trenches. I was also trying out my new Dee-Luxe Indy boots. After I bought my lift ticket I was walking up to the lift and this guy kind of gave me the heads up regarding the snow conditions. He said that he had been carving already that morning and he and his buddy had to go switch to ski's. I didn't think much of his commentary on the conditions because I wanted to carve and try out my new boots. From the first turn after I buckled in I knew he was right, as I gained speed and really tried to lay one over the affects of the snow became more and more exaggerated. Heel or toe every turn was the same whether it was mellow or layed out the snow would push/fall out from under me. I tried hunting for a good spot with maybe 1 or none on each run. A couple of times on a toe turns the snow gaveway so much that the nose of my board submerged and I got bucked. It made for some good deep ruts when I could find a spot but it was so inconsistent and tracked up that I had a hard time linking more than 2-3 turns. NOT a good carving day. I switched to my softy set up which was better but still a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. Enough complaining.

TrenchDigger

Just had a similar experience in Megeve, fresh but humid snow on a soaked and somewhat slushy base. With fog.

About the only carving I managed to get in was later when a few of the runs had been skiied flat coming off the walls, and even then you had to be careful not to push too hard for fear of submarining the nose. So I spent a load of time messing about in the fresh stuff inbetween the slopes, full-whack tracking of slopes on a raceboard. Which was fun. :)

There were a bunch of guys ripping it up off the sides on softies, you could _feel_ the double-takes as I blasted past them in hardboots and then got massive (and somewhat unexpected) air off a big ridge coming back onto the piste. I went past them again later at one of the lifts, one of the guys pointed at me and asked his mate "what the **** _is_ that board". Hahahaha!

Simon

Guest dragonsword5

I wanna go out! ;.; ;.;

I was trying to persuade my dad to "forget" the doctor's order about not snowboarding and go out for one more time but he said the doctor (and my mom) would murder him if he did that. :AR15firin

I'm am sooo looking forward to next season. Good luck finding goods spots for the end of the season (depending on where you are) :)

I wanna go out! ;.; ;.;

I was trying to persuade my dad to "forget" the doctor's order about not snowboarding and go out for one more time but he said the doctor (and my mom) would murder him if he did that. :AR15firin

I'm am sooo looking forward to next season. Good luck finding goods spots for the end of the season (depending on where you are) :)

Grasshopper, be patient...you will grow older and move out soon if you heal now....

All my mom could do was shake her head when I tried out my surgically repaired ankle in March...

Yes, slush is bad for carving but sooooo nice for screwing around in on a freestyle board(softies are gone, my boots do freestyle just fine in the powder mode thank you)

Guest Marty
I went to Snow Summit yesterday to get some much needed aggression out in the form of carving some deep-asss trenches. After I bought my lift ticket I was walking up to the lift and this guy kind of gave me the heads up regarding the snow conditions. He said that he had been carving already that morning and he and his buddy had to go switch to ski's. From the first turn after I buckled in I knew he was right, as I gained speed and really tried to lay one over the affects of the snow became more and more exaggerated. Heel or toe every turn was the same whether it was mellow or layed out the snow would push/fall out from under me. I tried hunting for a good spot with maybe 1 or none on each run. A couple of times on a toe turns the snow gaveway so much that the nose of my board submerged and I got bucked. It made for some good deep ruts when I could find a spot but it was so inconsistent and tracked up that I had a hard time linking more than 2-3 turns. NOT a good carving day. I switched to my softy set up which was better.

TrenchDigger

You have, just described my entire season. ( Ohio winters, YAY ! )

That would be a lame season, I feel for you. I lived in Colorado for six years so I am very spoiled. I went to Mammoth for a couple of days last month, same type of conditions but not as bad. It seems as of late, that everytime I plan a trip or go up for the day it sucks, then a big storm moves the next day and dumps all kinds. I can't win.

TrenchDigger