Note to New Members ×

ebay newb ?'s

FTA2R

just sold my first item. I offered 3 shipping options. Do I have to contact teh buyer to know what he wants or when I click "send invoice" is teh firest choice what the buyer picked?

What is the acceptable amount of time the buyer has from when he/she knows the total cost to pay?

thx,

Barry

Depends.

If you offered options, you should contact the buyer to determine their preferred method and zip code in order to send the final invoice. The problem here is that you'll need to estimate the weight if the box isn't already packed.

I've learned to offer a pre-determined FLAT FREE shipping. (i.e. $25 for a snowboard). It usually ends up costing $18-$22, so I make a lil extra but that is what I all the "handling" part. Makes it much easier to send an invoice at the time the auction closes.

The high-powered sellers have the whole process automated where they are automatically extract the buyer's zip code. Pretty cool stuff.

I'd send the invoice or a request for zip code ASAP. I'd expact payment ASAP as well, unless the buyer says they need X amount of days. Ebay policy I believe is two weeks though...

K

If you use the eBay option of sending them an invoice (if one wasn't sent already by eBay automatically), it should arrive with the options for the buyer. Then they can choose their shipping option and it will add the attendant cost (that you entered or allowed to be calculated) to their total invoice. Assuming you accept PayPal, it should go pretty easily. If you want to specify the amount, assuming you've emailed with them, then you can just go in and create an invoice.

heres my process (if I dont just use a flat rate)

ebay has a shipping calculator option you can choose when you list. When using the shipping calculator you can offer multiple options, all based on the buyers location and the weight and size of the package (determined automatically)

so you use the calculated rate, and pick "optional" for insurance, in which case the ebay system will calculate for you as well.

when you send the invoice, the options you chose to offer will be available to the buyer who can then pick.

if, when you are going to send the invoice, only one option is available, just click "add" and you can offer more.

helps to have a postal scale, most dont.

he just payed me and I had to upgrade my paypal account to receive the darn payment (wasn't aware of that). i'll take a look at the "send invoice" option closer next time, but when I previewed what the invoice would look like, a preferred method was already chosen. In this case it worked out and it was pretty simple.

what's the upper limit of a postal scale and how much are they?

thx

Barry