Note to New Members ×

Cocoon Lotus 158 - Review

BlueB

Ha! I gave in - couldn't resist the urge to try this beauty... So, it is not "never ridden" condition any more.

Unfortunately, I couldn't have picked a worst evening to test ride - high winds, rain for first 45 minutes, wet cement / chop type of snow... I tested it on a steeper green run (higher parts of mountain closed due to wind).

Still, the board handled very well. It is quite a bit softer than 164, which is nice - smoother ride and easier initiation. SC radius I've calculated to ~11.5m (against 11.9m on 164), but it is actually much turnier board - almost like a slalom board when you push it hard. It is probably due to the more obvious progressive side cut. As it is short, it would be easy to swing it around crowds, when needed.

It would be interesting to see if it has superb edge hold on ice like the 164. I would imagine yes, as it also features carbon construction.

Can't wait to try it more in better conditions and steeper runs. I'll post again...

I'm seriously tempted to keep this as my short board, and to get rid of Nidecker...

Boris

glad you gave in! i am bias but i would keep it. sounds like a good ride and they are less common... more of a unique ride than the decker...

hope you get to take it out in better conditions...

i am going to take mine out this weekend and see how it goes...

Got to ride the little beast again. Still not on good snow - wet choppy and rain compacted mostly. The entire mountain was open so I took it to all sorts of places, including cat tracks trough forest and bumpy black diamonds. I'm impressed! It is very quick edge to edge with nice pop, and since it is so short it is easy to jump turn or swing turn where needed. Does not submarine and stall in chop or deeper stuff like 164, I think due to softer flex. I could feel the nose flexing up, lifting me over the imperfections and slowing the board down at the same time. On open runs it still rails longer turns very nicely due to medium entry side cut, but whips trough slalom turns as it has tight tail sc. I was a bit worried about overloading the nose, especially because I rode with 20mm offset for slushy conditions. But as long as I kept my weight centred it zoomed right along with me... All in all, super versatile for a short narrow board. I would ride it all day long in steep moguls if I had the legs good enough ;)

Later on, I took out my Generics 170, just for immediate comparesment. Such a different ride - Generics is way faster (but it has better wax, on Lotus I just scraped off the storage wax) and it powers trough the stuff where little Cocoon relies on flex.