Note to New Members ×

New to Alpine

Deadshred

Coming from a surfing backround. I feel the difference between playing around with your friends and doing tricks on the smaller waves is fun, but kind of predictable. Where as taking off on a BIG, Dangerous, and very UNPREDICTABLE wave has soooo much more allure to it, for me anyways. So riding " soft " for many years has been great, and don't get me wrong, is still very challenging. It's the incredible speed, the long carves, the whole body experience that has brought me to that UNPREDICTABLE yerning. I kind of know what I mean in my head, but have a hard time putting it into words. P.S. I think it's great to have a place to ask questions to experienced people about this sport. When it comes to equipment, it's not cheap, and you want to make the right choices. Thanks...

That was the alure of carving for me. Surfing in the open bowls and glades, or slashing at new corduroy it felt the same as when the surf was mackin. Left Long Island ( West End jetty local-fags compared to the guys out east) to move west for new surf and discovered the wide open faces of Mammoth. I first saw carving in Austria on the glaciers. So I put the two together. I've finally felt the release surfing gave me without having to worry about my car getting vandalized or myself beaten up. Same lifestyle just a different medium.

I love carving turns on a snowboard, but it pales in comparison to dropping in on a double-overhead wave that's breaking top-to-bottom (like Blacks was last week). Blacks is in San Diego.

The only thing I see in snowboarding that compares to dropping in on good-size waves is maybe jumping off a cliff/cornice.

I was in Hermosa and Manhattan Beach Thursday-Sunday, and although the waves looked awesome, they also looked like they could be painful. Rather than curling off to one side or another, they built up almost straight, held up for a while, and then crashed. I was thinking that you'd really have to have your timing just right to come out in one piece, and if you don't, you're getting Maytagged.

If a ski trail looks too steep, icy or bumpy, you can always choose another way down or even decide to walk, but there's no escape when you're in the waves or on a raging river.

I just elected to cruise the strand on my longboard instead of trying to survive the water.

The thing that makes snowboarding great is the thrill to safety ratio. You can go faster, for longer, with less dire consequences than surfing or skateboarding.

Think snow,

MT

Originally posted by rather_wakeboard

Being from MN and having never surfed (athough always wanted too and will eventually) this might be a dumb question... Don't all waves break from top to bottom?

Here's a picture of Blacks, breaking top-to-bottom. The lip throws at the top and lands at the bottom of the wave.

photo4008003cc1ded.jpg

Here's a picture of Doheny. The lip crumbles at the top and dribbles down to the bottom of the wave.

boneyard51.jpg