Note to New Members ×

Teaching Techniques

Carp

I used to teach about 8 years ago and was using the falling leaf, side slips, etc. to teach the students. Was wondering if there are newer techniques that get a brand new snowboarder (soft booter) up and linking turns the fastest. I was thinking of tandem, however I'll probably have to adjust my binding angles somewhat. Anything out there you instructors could email me for pics, or techniques?

Thanks!

When I used to teach beginner lessons, I had good luck with "J-turns". After teaching sideslipping and traversing, have them point their board straight down the bunny slope (either hold them still with your foot, or have them do it with their back foot out) and then have them glide flat on their base until they build up enough momentum to just apply pressure to either edge and let the board make a turn for them.

Have them do this a few times each way, then have them try to put two J-turns together. That is, instead of letting the board point back up hill, see if they can get it to drift downhill again into another J-turn going the other way.

We used to do these sorts of rudimentary exercises (sideslipping, traversing, j-turns) on just a 10' long or so section of the bunny hill with the back foot out, so that the student could quickly hike back up hill, or so they could catch themselves. Once they linked two J-turns together, we would then head for the chairlift and start riding with both feet strapped in.

-Jack

Hey there,

We missed you guys at the WISO camp this year. We got 12 inches the night before camp and were able to ride all those boulder runs at Whitecap that usually don't have any snow :)

Jack's got great ideas. We use this all the time. Also useful are "garlands,"especially in the case where they are having trouble with one turn. You start out with a J-turn and then have them let the board fall back towards the fall line, and then instead of making a j-turn the other direction have them do another J-turn in the same direction. You can link a whole lot of these together if you have the room. It will get them used to letting the board come back to the fall line before they have to make that "scary" transition to the other edge.

Anytime you want to ride together or get some more tips on the beginner thing give me a call. You can ask Scott to get my # from BOB. Hope to see ya on the hills.

Thanks for the feedback. Both the j-turns and the garland sound like great techniques. I wish they had those around when I started. I read about the snow on the net for WISO, I was jealous and regretting not going. Next year. One of these days I'm going to pop over to Tyrol. Any days in particular you work or free ride?

Have a great winter!

Thanks for the teaching techniques. Probably the best lesson I've ever given. I've got to give some credit to the pupil, but he was linking turns like he'd been doing it for a month or two. The J turns and garland worked perfectly.

Thanks again,

Carp