Note to New Members ×

Need help fixing an Intec heel!

Guest Pepe Le Pew

Guest Pepe Le Pew

So, I'm at my local mountain today (Steven's Pass. BTW, the weather was gorgeous and the snow pretty decent), and as I'm verifying that I'm clicked in, I notice a 2-3 mm gap between the shell and the heel piece when I'm rocking my shoe (outside back on my back leg)!!!

I take an easy run down, find a screw driver, tighten it up.

It looks fixed... but doesn't even last a run. I go back down, and now the screw turns but won't tighten up anymore... This can't be good.

I rode some more because it was just too nice out (probably wasn't such a good idea) but see below what I find when I take the shoe apart at home.

The original nut from my Raichle 423 broke.

I've got a few T-nuts from the various Intec kits I got over the last couple years but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get rid of the original nut that's glued in the boot.

Suggestions?

post-550-141842216142_thumb.jpg

Guest Pepe Le Pew

I had tried to push it out with a screwdriver but it resisted...

I guess I'll have to try harder!

I wonder what the blue stuff I see in there is. Is it the stuff they use to prevent screws from getting loose?

Eric

Guest Pepe Le Pew

I believe I know what it is now that I was able to look at it with natural lighting.

It's got a lighter color than the shell because it's thinner but I believe it's the same material. It's as if the nut had been inserted hot and the shell had melted as a result. The edges of the hole are covering the flat top part of the nut. There's no way I will be able to ram these out. I'm going to have to grind the excess material. Oh well...

Guest Pepe Le Pew

After getting my hands on a little grinding tool, I was finally able to fix this.

But I don't believe that I would have been able to punch the tnut out.

It's pretty obvious from the picture that the tnuts are partially covered with some material coming from the shell. I only took 2 out (the 2 from the top in picture). The default nuts are very similar to the tnuts that came with the intec heels (the metal might be just a little thinner). The ring (top piece) has the same diameter though. At least half of the surface was embedded...

Before the grind, I never imagined that so much was covered!

The material was fairly soft and it was a fairly thin layer so I might have been able to use a small cutting tool instead of a dremel. It's not so easy to see what you're doing inside the shoe though.

Also, I was under the impression that the default tnuts were in 2 separate parts (the ring on top and the shaft) but it's not the case. So the metal pretty much gave way. Corrosion was probably a factor. My 210 pounds were probably another one...

Eric

post-550-141842216473_thumb.jpg