Note to New Members ×

Mt Bachelor Trip

tex1230

Well, I just got back from Bachelor and I can say it was a blast. Got to ride with Shane and a ski patrol guy on hardboots (Mike I think?), met Ed & Greg on my last day - Nice boards, guys...

For those of you who haven't been there, Get off your butt and just go!

Sunday 2/26 - First day of the trip - very nice conditions, just learning the mountain, had some nice high speed runs on Coffee & Thinderbird

ended up leaving early when my son got sick, but I could tell this mountain had potential.

Monday - golf (shot a 102 - not bad for me)

Tuesday - Powder Day! about a foot of wet heavy stuff on the ground. Kinda reminded me of the Sierra Cement we used to get in Tahoe

Let me be the first to go on record that it is just about impossible to ride a Rossi 184 GS board in those conditions!

Ended up skiing that afternoon...had a blast trying out the new fat shaped skis...think I'm gonna buy some

Wednesday - High winds and blowing snow made the top miserable, but I was able to have a little fun in the "Northwest Territory" - carved some foot deep ruts on Outback - got stopped by a patrol guy who I thought was going to bust me for going too fast - turns out he wanted to know about my "Monoski"

So far this trip was not looking too promising...crappy conditions, high winds, and they hadn't opened the summit all week...

Thursday - this was my chance - showed up solo - met Shane in the parking lot - just thought he as another guy going to ask me about my "Monoski" (I got that about 10 times that week), turns out he is a fellow carver just getting back into it - we ended up riding most of the morning on Chipper, Thunderbird, Coffee, and some other runs I don't remember. It was absolute hero snow and Shane can ride FAST!

had a couple of times where I was playing catch up- surprising since I was on my 184 and he was on a FP 168...

Oh, yeah - Shane - YOU CAN"T CARVE IN SKI BOOTS!

:lol:

Epic Day - summit still not open but one sunny day with perfect snow and good riding buddy - that one day will make me take the 6 hour flight and 3 hour drive to get back there.

Friday was just as good but one problem - Summit open and I promised my wife I'd ski with her and the boy all day

I did finally get to ride the summit - unfortunately on carving skis instead of a board - but it was Icy and windpack so I wasn't missing much. I saw a Tinkler sitting in the ski check and thought Bryan had shown up - turns out it was Greg, owner of one of the other tinklers (what - like 6 in the world over 200cm?) Got to talk to him & Ed (who had an insane quiver sitting in the back of his truck - I guess the crime rate at Bachelor isn't as bad as I heard...)

I guess the management at Bachelor is pretty stingy about opening the summit, which is too bad. Overall the mountain has some excellent carving trails, powder stashes for a couple of days after storms, and what looks to be some insane steeps when they're open.