Note to New Members ×

some notes on riding today, advice?

jersey600

decided to hit up mtn creek today since its never really busy midweek. still riding the soft setup since it's the only one i have so far.

Burton CustomX 164

Ride Tomcats

DC something boots

fooled around with binding angles, went as far as 51/42 and liked it, uncomfortable if you need to stop and kneel but dont do that too often anyway.

as far as riding today went, it was pretty hardpacked, small layer of dust on top with thick hardpack underneath. very fast snow, caused me to wash out a little when i was trying to get my edge in at lower speeds. turned back my angles a little bit, something like 45/30 and i seemed to have a little more dig. still wasnt satisfied with my turns today though. dont know if it was the snow, my board, my ability or a combination of the above.

i had some real nice carves but they were all pretty short ) shaped ones. i attempted going across the trails more, making C shaped carves, but the board would wash away just enough to crap out the carve once i started going perpendicular to the slope, back wasnt perfectly following the front ja know.

my board probably isnt as stiff as i would like it to be, and the waist and scr arent optimal for what i want it to do i suppose. 25cm and 9meters or so i think?

what are your opinions/advice on today's ride?

i'm thinking about hanging up the burton (just bought it this season) and getting a stiffer board with bigger scr for all around riding (read post about Oxygen)

thanks in advance :lurk:

Binding angles are way too high. Personally, I would rather ride carve 0/0 than 52/42. You got to calm that way down.

Your current board and binding choice is excellent. Keep in mind: board stiffness will make no difference, except maybe to make your situation much worse. Also, I find a 9 sidecut (at Mountain Creek) to be a bit much in softies too. Again, you are on excellent "soft boot" mountain creek carving gear. It really cannot get any better so keep in mind that any deviation will cause you to have even greater difficulties.

As for style, you can't carve unless you have a high angle of attack. You are just not lifting up the board high enough in the turns. Nothing more. Think ballerina. High up on your toes for toeside. Then high up on your heal for healside. Your ankles should be working to their absolute maximum. Practice this by doing "cross unders" in a really flat section. Go perfectly straight. Then roll the board HIGH onto toeside. Then quickly snap it back into HIGH onto healside, then snap back to toe, and back to heal, etc. etc. (do this as fast and wild as you can until it practically becomes a blur). From this meager beginning it will all start to come together.

Sic