Note to New Members ×

Carving hard on soft boards

jtslalom

I went to Stratton this past Friday and rode with Shaggy and two women who ripped. It was fun making turns with you guys, especially on a soft board. There was no need to take the RT out because the conditions were soft. I rode up at Sugarbush on Saturday and saw another soft rider ripping nice rounded turns on his soft setup. It just goes to show, those who can turn can do it on ANY board.

Hey JT Slalom,

My apologies that I can't remember your actual name. It was great riding with you last week. You rip on your soft setup! If you're back up in the area, send me an email and we'll hook up for some turns.

Last weekend, I rode my 153cm freestyle board for the first time this season. I took it out after lunch to session the half pipe. It's over a half-mile from the top of the main lift to the half-pipe, so I had a lot of room to try out my soft boot carving.

I was carving nice round turns. If you took a picture of the tracks, you wouldn't be able to tell whether it was made by an alpine board or a freestyle board (at least when I was on the blue run). But I was reminded of why I hardly ever ride in soft boots anymore ---soft boots kill my feet.

My soft boots feel OK when I'm riding the pipe, because I'm not pressuring the edge to much. But for carving, soft boots are just too painful. Also, when it's steep and hard snow, I'm mostly skidding turns with soft boots and freestyle board.

If I can start getting air in the half-pipe with my alpine set-up, then I'll be ready to sell my freestyle board and soft boots.

Curving in soft is obviously posible but limited. I ride both depends on condition but since i live on east coast hard rig is 80% of time.

In soft rig beside lack of control and ability to put presure when board is on the eadge, angle of shoes is a major problem. Front or hill of the shoes will hit a snow when you start carve more dynamic. Did anybody try to set soft rig in more forward position for carving?

From my expirence soft step ins boots are beter for carving.

Bottom line is you kind of can carve on soft rig but not really. You can get nearly that low as i would like and it does not work at all on ice.

Not to mention more dynamic carving on steep slopes.

Some more skilled softies can do semi decent frontsite turn but they backside is always off.

Soft rig is awsome for powder much nicer then curving board.

________

LIVE SEX