Note to New Members ×

Big Sky, Montana March 10 - 18, 2006

chadx

Hi all,

We've locked in our dates. Traveling March 09 and March 19, so I'll be on the mountain March 10 - 18 (minus a 'take a break' day here and there).

I've spoken with a few of you, already, about meeting this week, but feel free to post here (or email me direct through BOL) so we can coordinate with phone numbers and days you will be on the hill.

Thanks,

Chad

Chad, I'll be there... at some point during the week at least! I'm thinking about taking a day off work so I can get a weekday in. Maybe I'll do Sunday and Monday (March 12th and 13th). ROBERT? You out there? Would you be up to riding on Sunday, March 12th? I'm keeping at eye on EBay for tickets. I've bid several times on a pair, but always get outbid near the end of the auction! If anyone else has any ideas about where to get tickets, let me know. I was thinking about taking the camper and just staying in the parking lot, but I haven't used it yet during the winter and I'm not sure how hard it's going to be to deal with the water issue. So, I also may be looking for some cheap lodging for a night or two. hmmmm....

Anway Chad, looking forward to meeting you and my brain could really use a few days of good riding away from "normal" life!

Kathy

El Dorado is great. When we were there in Jan., they had it groomed plenty wide underneath the lift and then the rest was powder. My first hardboot experience ever (and second time on a snowboard) were on Lone Wolf. Then I started running Mr K after a few hours. I still like that run for cruising, though most of it one will bleed off too much speed if one carves too hard. But El Dorado is better since it's more consistant rather than rolling, so it's one of my favorites.

When I stepped up to the blues, I mainly stuck to Calamity Jane and really enjoy that run. There is one steep in there that I had to feather, but the rest I could carve. By the end of this next trip (and with some coaching from all of you!), I hope to be able to be comfortable carving on steeper terrain. That is probably just a matter of time building up my confidence. I find I can go from toe to heel on the steeps, but sometimes have trouble commiting to the heal to toe transition and end up intentionally skidding into a 'falling leaf' move and riding switch/backwards across the slope then doing a surface 180 to get back around to toe side. Fun to play, but not when I want to develop linked turns even on the steeps.

One of my favorite fast cruising runs was actually over in Moonlight. I think it's called Meriwether. Just a fun run. Nice 'tree islands' to carve around. We have friends with a cowboy cabin over there so always spend one day on that side.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Chad, between the three of us we'll have you ripping heelside in no time! Tippy's Tumble and Silver Knife are the next progression. Look forward to riding.

Kathy, I don't work for the resort anymore so I don't get any deals. Lots of folks park in the free skier lot w/ campers and as long as it isn't -20 like last weekend you should be fine.

Robert

Yeah Robert, I saw that you don't work at the resort anymore. I hope that was a good move for you! :)

I just hope what happened last year to me at Big Sky doesn't happen again... It was March of a dreadfully bad season.... I had just gotten a new board that hadn't even made it on snow yet! BUT.... of course the weekend I was there, it snowed 2 1/2 feet! It was ok, but not exactly what I had planned on.

I think my little one will have to stay home this time. Especially if I take the camper. I've been bidding on tickets on eBay, but constantly get outbid near the end! I'll keep trying. Hopefully I can find something. $60 for a lift ticket is a bit steep for me.

Chad, I hope I'll be able to keep up with YOU! I'm quite a whimp most of the time! As long as I've been riding, I should be much better than I am!

Kathy,

I found a coupon that might help a tiny bit. I have a frequency card, so you can use this coupon with me. Instead of the full day rate of $65, you'll pay the half day rate of $51. Not a huge discount, but will help some if you can't find anything else. Also, I think Karin said there was some type of discount if you were a MT resident. I'll have to ask her what she was talking about before I start throwing numbers around though. Print out a few of these coupons and bring them with if you don't find anything else and Karin or I can go to the window with you.

Ticket Rates

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="45%">Ticket Rates

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="45%"><TABLE class=border-blue cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=site-copy-body bgColor=#384552><TD width="73%" height=18> Adult Rates (Ages 22-66)

</TD><TD width="27%" height=18>

Per Day

</TD></TR><TR class=site-copy-body vAlign=bottom bgColor=#ddddcc><TD vAlign=top>

Single Day (9am-4pm)

</TD><TD vAlign=top>

$65

</TD></TR><TR class=site-copy-body vAlign=bottom bgColor=#ddddcc><TD vAlign=top height=5>

Half Day (12:30-4pm)

</TD><TD vAlign=top height=5>

$51

</TD></TR><TR class=site-copy-body vAlign=bottom bgColor=#ddddcc><TD vAlign=top>

Early Season (11/24-12/9/05)

</TD><TD vAlign=top>

$44

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

post-2348-14184221558_thumb.jpg

Jay,

Sounds great. Needless to say I have improved a tiny bit since that very first day. And that is thanks to your patience in giving me some beginners tips those first few hours to build on the rest of my week out there. Looking forward to getting together again. I still have your cell number.

The way our schedule looks right now, we'll be on the mountain on Friday, then taking Saturday off to meet with friends in Bozeman. Then up on the moutain again on Sunday and Monday. The rest of the week and following weekend are 'to be determined'.

Chad

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Finally...We are heading out to MT tomorrow night.

Looks like we'll all meet Sunday morning. For those with walkie talkies, bring them. Lets start with channel 7, subchannel 0 and go from there. Otherwise you can get me on my cell. I'll be by the racks between 9 and 10AM. If someone has a preference for a harder time, just name it and I'll be there. I'll be on a Donek Axis 182 with silver top sheet. Black helmet, black pants, blue and black jacket.

Note I'll have very limite email/BOL access starting Thursday night, so phone me with changes.

Let it snow!

C

And I'll be there too.....

I plan to get there sometime Saturday afternoon. I'll be the one in the free parking lot behind Huntly with the Green/Tan Chevy truck and a Lance camper.

I'm sitting here at work listening to the weather. There is 4-10 inches of snow forecasted for Bozeman tonight with 60 mph winds. Brrrrrr..... I hope your flight goes ok....

Chad, I may try calling you on Saturday night, but I'll probably just try to meet up with you Sunday morning. I'll have an orange Columbia jacket, black pants, and black helmet. I'll either be on a little Oxygen slalom board or a red/white/blue F2 Eliminator depending on the snowfall. If I remember to bring it, I will have a walkie-talkie too. It will probably work better than my cell phone anyway.

I took one run yesterday on the Eliminator with my softboot setup, but my knees were just fighting the wider, lower angle stance. I think I have that board set at 24 in the front and 12 in the back. I used to like it, but I've been doing too much skiing this year and when I do get to snowboard, I try to stick to my hard-boot gear!

Kathy

Hi everyone,

Big Blizzard this morning with about 6 inches overnight and another 3 this morning along with some wind. Anyway Lynn and I will be there on Sunday at 10:00 am at the ski check. Black coat,, red helmet anda 186 Coiler, Lynn will be in a greencoat, Grey helmut and a 164 hot blast. BTW just look for the only people on carving boards and it will be our group. Happy trenching.

Robert and Lynn

Robert, Lynn, Kathy, and Jay. Sounds like a good group! Anyone else that wants to meet up with us, feel free and we'll see you all this Sunday.

I'm not sure why I feel the need to keep posting updates on here. I think we all know what we're doing and when we are meeting. Hmm, maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm about to head home from work and won't have to even think about this cubicle for 10 days!

We'll be headed to the airport within the next couple hours.

This has been a service announcment by Chad, who is signing off and heading for a better place! As John B. L. Soule (or Horace Greeley, or even Liz Phair)said "Go west, young man!

I'm gone.

Thanks again Chad, Robert, Lynn, and Jay for a VERY enjoyable 2 days of riding at Big Sky! I know we were turning some heads on Sunday.... isn't it great???? 5 people on hard boots might not be a record, but all but 1 currently live in Montana.... is that a record???

Anyway..... with everything you do in life, there is a lesson to be learned.... my lesson from this trip???? NEVER DRIVE THE F****** DIESEL TRUCK TO A SKI AREA WITH BELOW FREEZING TEMPS!!!! After a $128 bill to the tow truck driver, at least I did make it home even though it was a day late! He charged $88 for labor.... all he had to do was hook up the generator and the jumper cables and sit in his truck for an hour! Maybe I need to see about becomming a tow truck driver/mechanic....

My boss was understanding about getting "stuck" at Big Sky, but he is a snowboarder too.... I would have loved to see his face when he was listening to my message on his voice mail! HAHAHAHA....

Kathy

Hi all,

Yes indeed! Thanks everyone for a fun week! It was great to get together and meet everyone (and to get some tips).

Kathy, Sorry you had trouble with your truck. Diesels are diesels. Ugh. Lesson learned, I suppose.

Karin and I will keep in touch with all of you and look forward to next winter...though we'll be out this summer, too.