Note to New Members ×

WES (Whistler Expression Session) 2006

BlueB

Venue: WHISTLER MOUNTAIN

Date: Saturday, March 4, 2004

Meeting time: 9:00am for 9:30am

Meeting Place: Light Board next to ROUND HOUSE, see Dave's directions below

Demos: PRIOR SNOWBOARDS will be available!

As there are rising numbers of carvers around Vancouver BC, there is a need for a local expression session. The first WES is planned to be held on Saturday, March 4, 2006. It will be an informal gathering. Basically, we'll get together and shred the hill to pieces, exchange the ideas and techniques, try each other's boards... Everyone is welcome!

The meeting place and venue are to be decided upon. Give your suggestions. I know that Dave* knows the mountain very well - so Dave* give your input, please.

Post here to express your interest, or contact Boris "BlueB" or Kevin "tangaloor" for more info.

See you there!

Got to thinking ( always a dangerous proposition) for location go with whistler as opposed to blackcomb just for parking/shorter trip for the Vancouver daytrippers, pick a meeting time at the light board outside the roundhouse I suggest earlier rather than later say 0915 hrs.

I have checked my work sched and I have the day off.

Dave*

Hey Dave*,

Good work! Since there were no other suggestions yet, I’d go with yours.

If we were on Whistler, you would guide around – I know only Blackomb side. Maybe post some directions to Roundhouse and Light Board, as well as which parking lot to use? And then, for latecomers (if any), on which lift/slope we are likely to be during the morning?

Any ideas where to keep the spare boards (on the hill)? One of ideas was to test ride as many boards as possible…

I’ve approached Prior – waiting for reply.

Others,

Please post your interest here, even if you already did in “Cypress” tread where it all started. It would help getting more precise numbers, planning the car polls, etc.

We should probably exchange cell numbers, too? If you e-mail me, I could compile a list and distribute to the others…

So let’s start planning:

Tibor is probably coming with me, and I could pick up anyone along N1. I'm in Port Moody, so anyone from Tri-City?

Boris

I'll be there! I may even go up Friday if the weather is nice and I can get out of work. My car can only take one other person if the backseat is used for gear. I'm at 11th & Clark.

Parking at creekside is much better, but bringing multiple boards up & down the hill from there would be a pain (transfer to a chairlift before reaching board storage). The village gondola lets out right by the board storage, but then it's $2 each time to retrieve.

k

Easiest parking from Vancouver is at Creekside, shave a few clicks off drive and less parking hassles. From Creekside up Creekside Gondy on to Red chair , at the top and to the left from chair ride is the light board.

If taking multiple boards up take the village gondy, the light board is 50 meters out the exit at the top. ( there is the bag/board check right there also, its only two bucks for the day not each swap, mention my name and the kids that work in there should treat you well) getting multiple boards off hill would be download or riding with strappage to backpack. There is also a bag board check at bottom of hill by the blackcomb village gondy in front of longhorn. The kids in this one do not know me there though.

my two cents.

Dave*

This sounding like a great day at Whistler. what I thought may be good for the cause is to list you are and what you ride and how long you been riding.

I'll start.

Other than C5 Golfer I go by Al, 59 yr old engineer in Bellevue Wash, riding hardboots for about 5 years. I currently ride various boards but the one getting most of the ride time this year is Chris Prior's wonderful 179 4WD, second favorite if no new snow has fallen is either my Volkl 178 or this year's birthday present - a Hot Blast 178. Don't worry about my age, I'll be right there waitng for you to catch up. :biggthump :lol:

Ok then,

Boris, 36 (will be 37 by the time we get there ;) ), multidisciplinary designer, Vancouver BC.

2nd year on plates. Various boards, but mostly Hooger Booger Grinder 168 (soft am type of carver), and lately Cocoon Lotus 164. I might bring a Generics 170 too (still have to test it).

Latest from Chris is that we can request the boards we want to demo. So, speek up now, rather then later.

My thinking was 4WD and WCR in low to mid 170' as most versatile sizes, and maybe to see the new titanal WCR beast?

Other idea is to compare the longest ATV to Sword 168 that Pierre will bring (both 23 waist), but Chris made valid comment that ATV had shorter scr...

Guest WC Rider

this WES is

I'll try to be there... not exactly sure what the school requirements will be, but I should be able to make it work.

if anyone has space in a car that would help a lot... an envious softboot buddy wants to come too, if space allows...

As for who I am, Kevin, 23 been riding for about 9-10 yrs now, always on hardboots, most of my time on the Burton Alp.. used to be a 164 till I broke it, now its a 171.. I'm a mechanical engineering student at UBC

actually, I hope my new boots arrive before then, I put 2 nice big cracks in my Burton Fire's that are about 4 yrs old now

I wouldn't mind trying out a 4x4 in the high 160's to low 170's range...

lookin forward to it already

Guest WC Rider

He would definately be interested in trying them out... keeping up might be a problem, but he followed me around the whole day last time we were up to Whistler and can't wait to give it a go...

I'll let him know of the offer... getting some ski boots would be super easy..

He would definately be interested in trying them out... keeping up might be a problem, but he followed me around the whole day last time we were up to Whistler and can't wait to give it a go...

I'm not sure if I can go or not but...

if your friend fits into 26cm boots I got some spare 3 buckle burton boots I could lend him

Guest WC Rider
Quote:

Originally Posted by WC Rider

I'm not sure if I can go or not but...

if your friend fits into 26cm boots I got some spare 3 buckle burton boots I could lend him

Thanks very much for the offer, but his feet are bigger than that.. I think he wears size 12 shoes..

Have been down in the city the past couple days working

( ahh reality it sucks after a month on hill recreating, currently at 76 days riding since nov 05/05), anyways was poking aroung the sports junkies by Mountain equipt Co op and seen a set of 24.5 burton Ice( three buckles) in almost new shape, and an old set of Blax ? model? definitly pre hans/frans/toni's around a size huge, probably 30+ mondo, I couldnt find any markings on the shell or liner that were in beaten up shape. The heads up for those looking for boots for friends, no alpine boards or binders seen.

See you on hill on saturday. Looks like some snow has been coming down since work started so odds are I will be on a fatty with plates.

Dave*

Ride board: It turns out the friend I was planning to head up with can't make it, so I can either catch a ride with somebody or take one person up in my car, leaving from commercial drive area early saturday. I'd like to get up there around opening to get some practice runs in before the meet up. Anybody need a ride or have space?

k