Note to New Members ×

detuning

Guest kennyusmc

this can be argued but the only time you detune is to remove grip, if the board catches edges easily check and see if the base is flat if it is then use a little more base bevel

the only boards I have been detuning in the last couple years have been 190+

this is one subject that has been covered on a couple other forums as well as this one and there are many different answers you are gonna get but a few people whom I value their opinion have said detuning is a relic from the days of straight skis

Guest jschal01

You might ask Prior for rec's on that for that board and the way you ride. I also can't remember whether they already detune their boards before shipping now, some places do.

Not detuning at least a bit into and out of the cut means, other things being equal, that you're going to tend to hook up and to get caught one dge without being able to disengage. Ever get stuck on a carve and felt like a trip to the trees was certain? A bit of detune at the tail goes a long way to preventing this. Have trouble riding traverses on flatbase or little edge? Detune at the nose likewise helps a lot.

You do less of it on a snowboard or on a shorter-sidecut ski, but it's definitely not a straight-ski relic.

Guest kennyusmc

Here is what I got from prior

Though there are many schools of thought out there in regards to de-tuning I go with a nearly universal 5 inch/12cm fierce detune off of the shoulders in the front followed by 2 inches/5cm of blending. For the tail 3 inches of detune with 2 inches of blending. Works for me. There are other schools of thought who use more blending than I do.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Sean D. Velnes. Direct Sales Manager

Prior Snowboard Manufactory Ltd

<?xml:namespace prefix = ns0 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><ns0:Street w:insAuthor="Prior" w:insDate="2006-02-14T13:34:00Z" w:endInsAuthor="Prior" w:endInsDate="2006-02-14T13:34:00Z"><ns0:address w:insAuthor="Prior" w:insDate="2006-02-14T13:34:00Z" w:endInsAuthor="Prior" w:endInsDate="2006-02-14T13:34:00Z"><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">#104-1410 Alpha Lk. Rd.</st1:address></st1:Street></ns0:address></ns0:Street> Whistler BC <ns0:country-region w:insAuthor="Prior" w:insDate="2006-02-14T13:34:00Z" w:endInsAuthor="Prior" w:endInsDate="2006-02-14T13:34:00Z"><ns0:place w:insAuthor="Prior" w:insDate="2006-02-14T13:34:00Z" w:endInsAuthor="Prior" w:endInsDate="2006-02-14T13:34:00Z">CAN. </ns0:place></ns0:country-region>V0N-1B1

Phone: 604-935-1923 Fax: 604-935-1924

sean@priorsnowboards.com

www.priorsnowboards.com

www.priorskis.com <o:p></o:p>

Guest jschal01

The guys at Prior seem to be all over the emoticon thing :) :) :)

Guess they are as passionate about their customer service e-mails as they are about everything esle related to their boards. :D :D :D

Actually, I think my 2d sentence is in fact true. :biggthump