Note to New Members ×

Riding every day = leg fatigue??

SWriverstone

I've been riding for the past 6-7 days in a row, and my legs are toast. I can't figure out if it's because my legs just aren't in shape? Or if it's because...I've been riding every day! :rolleyes:

Put another way, I'm wondering how many of you can go out and ride for a few hours every day for days on end and never suffer any leg fatigue?

Today, I did 4 runs down an easier slope, then went to a steeper slope...and my legs just gave out halfway down. I had to lay down (on the edge of the slope) for a couple minutes just to recuperate enough to get the rest of the way down!

I guess I'm also wondering whether my increased leg fatigue might be the result of doing anything wrong? (Or maybe doing it right?) I'm trying to get really low in all my turns...and I've been doing a lot of turns...resulting in a lot of up/down quad flexing on each run.

It's kinda depressing, because I want to improve...but I think I'm being held back by my legs more than anything else!

Scott

PS - Though my overall conditioning right now isn't bad, I know it's not what it was before last season, when I rode a cycling century (100 miles) in October and had been training hard for that for 3-4 months...

Everyone's muscles need a rest, yours included. You need to take a solid day off in the middle of the week and recouperate. It's not your technique, it's your muscles telling you they're tired. Are you eating properly? Drinking water and/or Gatorade? Those are also huge factors.

My first thoughts were....

1. you may be doing more anaerobic work than you realize and the lactic acid levels/excessive work are causing muscle fatigue

2. I don't know how you train for a century, but my experience that following some of the training guidelines in the paper or so-called expert magazines are a bit excessive. Just like running over 30 miles a week causes no additional training benefit and exponentially increases your risk of injury, there is a threshold for bike work, too. Since I live in a bike unfriendly town, I mostly ride my stationary cycle, 40 minutes daily.

On that training regimen, I could do a metric century (65 miles) and then work a 12 hour ER shift-mostly standing- and do the MS150, when I did the MS150.

The long and short or it, you should work out regularly.

Also, once I started exercising the night before riding with our trips to Tahoe and Park City, I found out I rode better the next day. Stamina and strength both improved