Note to New Members ×

in need of your advice

uku

Hi!

I'm a softbooter, been carving for 2,5 seasons and now looking for more serious equipment.

My dimensions: 77 kg (178lbs), 188 cm (6,2 ft), 28,5 mondo

Goals:

Bindings:

Looking for preferably non-step-in bindings, as they are recommended for more beginners.(?)

Does step-in system require anything special from the boot?

Board:

In case of board I got inspired by Rossignol z9 skis that are versatile and good skis. They are quite wide, have 15m radius and are stable at higher speeds. When I tried these i could carve easily & fast slopes that i really had to concentrate on with my current setup.

So my main goal will be carving pistes, but as I'm gonna ride all day long I'm not looking for a board for perfect conditions but one that forgives some bumps etc that the masses generate on the slopes. Thus I'd like to have stability as well. Guess the ideal radius could be around 13 m. That wouldn't give me slalom turns and also wouldn't require very high speeds for laying really low turns :).

Ideal setup would perform like those skis and enable me to get really low.

I have no idea about liveliness/dampness. Guess that if i get an old board, then i can afford experimenting different types. With a new one I have to stick to it for some seasons.

If you can tell a style from the videos, see 2 bottom ones here: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?p=83571#post83571

Boots:

I need good ones :)

Due to my location (Estonia) it is not easy to find equipment, but I've found some stuff over the internet. I need to have a full setup by 24.02 (going on a trip the next day). Also some stuff mentioned here are sold via ebay auctions and are ending pretty soon (16h) so fast feedback is appreciated.

Options:

Bindings:

F2 Intec Titanflex, 125 €

F2 Intec Titanium, 110 €

F2 Intec Titanflex step-in, 150 €

Boards:

new:

F2 silberpfeil, 168 cm/70+kg , 10.5m, 390 €

F2 Speedster RS - 177 cm, 15m, 04/05 edition 1€ :) (6 day auction @ ebay); 05/06 edition 450 €

Hot Blast GS, 178, 13m, 05/06, 385 €

Völkl Raceboard RT 168 GS, 320 €

Oxygen Proton GS, 168, 13m, 05/06, 350€

used:

Oxygen KR172c, 172 cm, 13.8m, 97/98, 120 €

Virus Black Death Team Edition 2002/2003, 173 cm, waist 15,1 cm, effective edge: 157 cm with : F2 Intec Titanium Step-in bindings. 300€ and rising

Oxygen GS Proton 168, 240€

HOT BLAST, used, with Burton 4x4 bindings, http://cgi.ebay.de/Snowboard-HOT-BLAST-guter-Zustand-m-Burton-4x4-Bindung_W0QQitemZ8762420126QQcategoryZ59756QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rossignol XX Alpinboard Carver/Racer 168cm

http://cgi.ebay.de/Rossignol-XX-Alpinboard-Carver-Racer-168cm_W0QQitemZ8761466892QQcategoryZ59756QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Boots:

http://cgi.ebay.at/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8761495737&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

DeeLux Suzuka, 390 € @bluetomato

DeeLux LeMans, 280 € @bluetomato

UPZ. Price should be around 400 $, not given at European page (rabanser)

If you feel like commenting any option, go ahead. Also you can comment on my goals, maybe i have logic mistake somewhere. The quicker the better ;)

P.S.! If you have anything I could buy or recommend me smth that'd ship in Estonia in 2 weeks, go ahead.

P.S.2! Sorry, if this thread belongs to a different forum

Big thanks in advance!

Uku

To answer a couple of your questions:

-Yes, boots need to have a removable heel piece to install the setpin heel. Recent Deeluse and UPZ boots have those.

-Bindings: F2 are very good bindings from what I read, I never used them though

-Boards:

the F2 Silberpfeil is considered as a freecarve board, thus can be more forgiving

the others (F2 Speedster, Oxygen Proton/KR, Hot Blast, Volkl) are raceboards, a little harder to manage and sometimes less forgiving

the Virus is a little narrow to start on and is the most expensive board of the list (new ones are aroung 1000 euros I think?)

I don't know much about the Rossignol, but some have a microcell core, less durable than a wood core

All the board you mention are agressive board that are not necessarely good when it gets bumpy. You may want to check for "all mountain" type board, a little wider, a little more flexible, with a rounded tail, but still made for carving. The reference here are Donek Axis, Prior 4WD and Coiler AM. There other models that are good for that.

-Boots

Deeluxe are the most common boots for carving, both are good from what I read, but the Suzuka may be better in the long run

UPZ are good for wide feet

Both have advantages and problems that have been discussed an endless number of times here

I've read much. But your information was useful as well. :biggthump

At the moment I'll probably choose proton. Good reviews @ carver's almanac (stabile, good hold, yet bit poppy). Also highly regarder in BOL by some aswell.

Am I correct? :)

In case of all-mountain boards... i still think i'd prefer something more to the racing... besides those models mentioned are kinda hard to get in europe.