Note to New Members ×

Cant for a Kid

Bubba

I coach a kid (10 y.o.) on our team on a FP135 with the orange plastic kids race plates. My/his problem is that he wants to stand up/lean back and push with his back leg through the turns. I have tried everything I can think of to prevent this but with no luck. I was thinking some rear cant might help. Can you add cant to these bindings? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kenton

my son had/still has the same problem. We put a cant on his back binding and it made a big difference. Yes....he still stands up more than he should, but the cant creates a natural slant to that back leg.

If your bindings are Burton 3 hole, they should/will work with a cant. I am actually looking at a FP 135 where I can see that the previous owner did have the standard Burton cant that comes with race plates. It barely squeezes onto the width of the board....but does. You then screw your plates into that cant instead of the board.

If you want to meet me in the Twin Cities I could loan you a cant and mounting hardware to try.....and show you how we set up Patrick's boards. If you have few enough kids, maybe I could arrange to have you sit in with the G Team kids at a practice (not my call, but I would ask).

Matt

Matt,

I may have a cant around somewhere. If not, I'll take you up on borrowing one. This week is out though....too durn busy. Will keep you posted. He is using ski boots with the forward lean as far as it will go, but it is not working. We have been unable to find hardboots in his size. Do you have any spare's?

Kenton

It's hard to prescribe a solution w/o a bit more diagnosis. My guess is that a cant will bandaid other issues.

Cranking the forward lean isn't the solution either....because that will actually create rearward pressure and limit the range of motion.

People lean back from fear. My guess is that something is uncomfy...so I'd start with a new stance (flat)....and make sure he can flex the boot (which is usually the problem).

We can chat offline if you like as well.

K

Kent,

I rode with him tonight and he carves nice freeriding. When I set gates, each heelside turn he will pop up and try to "steer" with his back leg. Maybe it is a fear thing. Any suggestions? Are you back in town?

Matt,

We have practice tomorrow, I will check on his boot size.

Thanks,

Kenton