Note to New Members ×

Board Comparison PLEASE!!! (Coiler AM vs. Donek Thorndike)

Guest Mikef5000

I would KILL to demo some boards.........

Contact Donek about their mail order demo program. You only have to pay for the return shipment. Last spring, I did a mail order demo for a Donek FC2 163, loved the board and ended buying one in the fall.

A board with a 12-13m sidecut radius will make it a lot easier to do the laid out carves EC style.

The Wild Duck Knifer has got a SCR in the 12-13m range. I don't think the Wild Duck Swap in the classifieds is the board you're looking for.

Also, I remember somebody posted about a Wild Duck Knifer last year. It rode well, but the edge started to separate from the board.

For EC style, here are the boards I've tried and rank from best to worst:

1. Swoard 161

2. Oxygen Proton GS 164

3. Donek FC2 163

4. Oxygen Proton SL 149

5. Donek Incline 160

6. Burton Alp 157

The only board I didn't own was the Swoard. I borrowed a friend's Swoard for a couple days.

My favorite board out of the list is the Donek FC2. The 10m scr is better for riding the smaller resorts in So Cal.

For cheap boards that are at least 19.5 cm wide and with a SCR bigger then 12m, you should look at Oxygen Protons and Burton Factory Primes. If you get a Proton or FP and don't like it, you'll probably be able to re-sell for the same price you bought it for.

If you can afford $600, contact Donek and demo a FC2. If you like it, Donek might even sell you the demo at a reduced price.

Good thread so far, just a few things to add...

Both boards are IMHO going to be too stiff for you, based on your weight. Read Coiler's website, under the "tech info" section, about stiffness. Bruce's statement applies to any board whether or not it is a Coiler.

Given that you are looking for something for non-hero conditions, and are apparently looking for something used, I'd say look for a Coiler AM, FC or RC, built roughly for your weight. Why not post an ad in the "Wanted" section?

The new Donek Olympic construction is IMHO every bit as effective on ice and rutted stuff (I took mine down a training course after the gates had been taken down @ Bachelor to test this) but has a very different feel. I really like it. But you probably won't find one used for some time and even then it's going to be expensive.

Guest Mikef5000

Ok guys.......

Pretend I didn't say my weight..... pretend this is just like before when you assumed I'm of 'normal' weight.....................

I actually got to ride another alpine board!

Donek 175 Behle GS, scr:13, width:23.00 (donek stiffness rating of 9.0 :eek: )

I don't have much of any complaints about this board at all! It felt much stiffer than what I'm used to..... but by no means was it Too stiff! I was able to carve pretty good my first run.... and by the second run I could push hard and carving tight!

So keeping in mind I didn't have a problem on a Donek with the stiffness rating of 9.0........... and forgeting about my weight......

Now what do you guys think about me on that Coiler AM?

Ok guys.......

Pretend I didn't say my weight..... pretend this is just like before when you assumed I'm of 'normal' weight.....................

One of the key features of Coilers is that the stiffness is custom made for your weight. Why are you going to ask for advice and then figuratively stick your fingers in your ears and not listen when people give you advice? :)

Because...

While everyone said these board will be way too stiff for me... I just rode a board much stiffer without a problem.

I don't know.:confused:

Sometimes, you just gotta say f*ck it, and do what you wanted to do in the first place.

Then post a video to show whether the decision was good or bad.

Guest Mikef5000

I know. You are right.

That's what I will end up doing.... because the chances of me finding a used board with all the specs I want... made for someone even close to my weight... is slim to none.

But 4-5 hundred bucks is alot for me... that's why I don't want to just say F it... I'm doing it.

Arg!

Ok guys.......

-snip-

I probably would have asked you how much you weigh and how aggressively you ride in that case - seriously, I am a strong believer in "get a board that flexes right for your weight and style". I find that as I progress as a rider, I am more finicky about flex... boards that I once found "fine" I now think are "too stiff" because I realized I was having trouble controlling my turn sizes. The board was taking me for a ride rather than the other way around.

Guest Mikef5000

I really did feel perfectly in control of the rediculously stiff donek I rode.... and that was only 2 runs.

And for the record... I feel I ride very aggressively.