Note to New Members ×

Board Comparison PLEASE!!! (Coiler AM vs. Donek Thorndike)

Guest Mikef5000

Guest Mikef5000

Looking for any thoughts opinions and facts on these two boards:

177 Coiler AllMountain With 21.5cm waist: Stiffness index of 7.6: I had Bruce change the biax fibers in the glass so that the board edged better then a normal AM

Vs.

182 Donek Thorndike With 20.5cm waist: 2003: 15m.

Anybody think with the right conditions and right rider, either of these could get to "Near Exreme-Carve" carving?

coilers but in particular the AM feel radically different than most boards very damp and extremely forgiving, all my coilers have had a sweet spot thats a mile wide

doneks are generally snappier, feel a little more "nervous" under foot and require you to be a little more precise with where you put your weight

I have not been on the that donek you mention but I have been on a few others and they have a general feel to them that is unique

I say buy the donek though, it will probably turn wider than your AM and will be a blast on good groom

on ice I prefer a damp ride and if it rutted up as well but on the days that the groom is nice a donek will really shine

bottom line they are very different but both rock

Guest Mikef5000

I see! Thanks!

What about Laying carves... Which one will carve 'harder' ?

Keep in mind... I weigh in at 130 lb's (but I perfer longer boards) and I'm generally on smaller hills...... So maybe turning wider isn't what I should go twards?!?!

Guest Mikef5000

Well, I already have a board I LOVE for groomed and high speed (171 elan ballistic)

This board will be for the "not so perfect" conditions days......

AND if at all possible...

be wide enough to be able to lay down some rediculous carves... like maybe almost "extremecarving" style. Where my Ballistic is just way to skinny.

Anybody think with the right conditions and right rider, either of these could get to "Near Exreme-Carve" carving?

SURE!

As you could with, say a:

Hot Blast GS

F2 Speedster

Swoard

Wild Duck

Burton PJ :eek:

Burton FP

Burton Speed

Nidecker GS

Madd

Sims Burner

Pure Boarding #1

Elan Ballistic

PureCarve Maverik

Rossi WC

Coiler PR

Prior WCR

Tomahawk

Kessler

Just to name a few....

Oh, and BX decks of various mfg... and freeride boards...with softies... :eplus2:

Guest Mikef5000

Arg.

How about while keeping a resonable angle on my bindings.

I have them set at about 70 degrees right now and I overhang on both sides.

I can get pretty low now... But I'm limited due to massive drag.

With this wider board I would keep my angle high, but without overhanging at all.

Then go in for some "extremecarving" type carves.

There's no severe flaw to an allmountain board that would keep me from laying down?!?!

Guest Mikef5000

I think they said it's built for a 195 lb rider.

Also he said that he had Coiler change the biax fibers in the glass so that the board edged better then a normal AM.

That makes this sound more tempting to me. Any thoughts about that?

Guest Mikef5000

Honestly I think I'm leaning twards the AM.

I already have a race board... I don't need another. I want a board for when the conditions aren't great.

I have also heard donek's are on the stiff side.

I've still got lots to think about, but I'm leaning twards the AM.

Arg.

(And if you want that Donek, it is in the Bomber Classifieds)

Guest Randy S.

I had that Donek board. I was 195, 5'10" and it kinda kicked my ass. First, it was way too wide for me. Second, it took lots of work to flex/turn it hard. In crud it would toss you around. Great for really aggressive carving in a race course or groomers, if you can carve aggressively. Its a fun speed board and it actually floats pretty well in powder (I dropped a nice cornice on that board in sweet pow).

You must have some seriously huge feet or be running ski boots to have overhang at 70 degrees on any board.

Guest Mikef5000

Right now I ride a 171 Elan Ballistic with no problem at all.... Is the Coiler that much stiffer?

With equipment and boots I'm probably a good 15-20 pounds heavier.

Guest Mikef5000

According to my Bathroom scale.... I weigh in at 155 lb's fully equiped.

That sounds much better!

And I checked Binding Angles, both are right at 70 degrees, and the boots are right on the edge.

Guest Mikef5000

Well, I know they make ones more suitable for me.... But I really like everything about this board other than the wieght..... and the price is right!

Would a certain 161 wild duck board be more suitable for me? is it long enough to pull through rediculous carves? (if I learn how of course!)

If the Elan works well for you, BOTH of these boards are far too stiff. You need to demo a few boards before buying and see what you (don't) like. At 155 you are at the bottom of the weight range for regular boards and far too light for custom stuff. Don't waste your money.

The Wild Duck is a 9 m radius, so it will provide a much different experience to the Donek at 15m. Borrow some boards, do some demos! don't waste your cash.