Note to New Members ×

Checking In

Guest carvemaster

Guest carvemaster

Just wanted to check in and say hello to everyone here. Good to see the carving community is alive and well.

I can't contribute much since I'm not up to speed on today's gear, but I've ridden all over the US and Europe on alpine gear. Any military people over in Germany wondering where to ride, I might be able to provide some tips. I also have some vintage photos that should bring out a few laughs on this board. Hardshells, plates, and a Craig Kelly Air, those were the days. I'll try and attach a photo of my asym Alp in flight with this message. Once again, great to see a site devoted to alpine and I hope to dig some ruts with some of you this winter (Mammoth, BC, or Tahoe in March).

Carvemaster

2000 miles west of SoCal

post-210-14184219607_thumb.jpg

Guest carvemaster

I'm out on Oahu. Yes, kiteboarding is huge out here but I've decided to stick with windsurfing. I've seen Robby out on the water, or should I say, "in the air." Can't speak for the kiters, but pushing a windsurfboard through a big turn gives me a similar sensation to carving on snow. I'd like give snow kiteboarding a try, but it looks like only twin tip boards work in order to face the kite at all times.

Plenty of snowboarders here in the islands. Everyone at work is talking about new boards and planned trips. I've only run across one other alpine rider though. He used to ride for Hot.

Aloha,

Carvemaster

post-210-141842196073_thumb.jpg

I watched some kiteboarders a week or two ago, and started wondering if there were any harnesses with hooks on the back, so you could ride toeside edge. Anyone know if that's been done?

Changing directions would be a challenge, but I bet it would be pretty cool.

You can ride toeside in a common kiteboarding harness. I'm no kiteboarder (yet), but watching people in the gorge it seems pretty common. Imagine yourself on toeside on a board, and now imagine that you point at something 45 degrees to the side of the boards nose (left side for regulars). That's about where you'd have one arm holding onto the control arm, and the kite would be infront and to the heelside of you.

I've seen people carve jives that way, switching heel toe heel, looks pretty cool. In video of trick competitions I've seen a lot of guys will flip a quick 180 so that they're riding switch toeside before launching into their trick (I assume for better scoring).

As for behind the back, I don't think that'd work. From what I can tell, kiteboarding takes constant awareness of the kite... put it in the wrong place or fail to react to a gust, and you're going for a launch.