Note to New Members ×

Speeding up packing out for Thermo liners?

kipstar

I have only acheive moderate suckcess with the boot stretching; not having the right tools means I haven't been able to get the leverage on the boot I would like, and the tool I am using getting wet means it is not rusty and seized. Stupid tool. I used hot water cycles to do this, and have probably stretched maybe 1-2mm only? Can feel the bump, but it isn't much and is super slow. The air temp here is 30+ degrees C during the day, so this is like the boots being permanently in a drying room so any stretch is going to shrink back (I originally stretched them in Tahoe, but the stretch has already shrunk back).

Anyway, I still have the problem that the boot is too wide in the ankle and too narrow across the front. I had the liners molded by a competent boot fitter, but i have very skinny ankles and the is a lot of foam back there which packed out after a few days, so already have shims in there to sort dat out. The problem is with the forefoot, where there is just not quite enough room up there.

So.... I felt around and it sure feels like there is plenty of foam up there, which I want to pack out. I don't want to rebake them, as I don't think I can do a good job like the boot fitter guy. There is no chance to see a boot fitter here or in Korea, so I have to do this myself.

My current idea is either to:

- heat the toe with a hot air gun (which means I have to buy one) then try to force the foam out - I think this won't work because it needs to be about 200 degrees

- thread a piece of wood inside, and bash the 3 points that are hitting with a hammer, and break/crush the foam

- cut off my foot, and ride using 'extreme shin' style

Any advice or is there any other way you guys can think of? Already using the thinest socks, trimmed toenails, cranked straps in the order to pull my foot back.....

it's not hard to do therflexes your self, if you have presure points tape some foam to your foot when you mold the liners.

there are a whole mess of things you can do but IMHO the safest thing to do is trying to remold them

if that fails then go to a shell stretch, if that does not work you could do other things but a thermoflex will mold down to 1/8 inch(4mm or so) and those options should work fine 99% of people.

Bobdea

No he did not, and I even specifically mentioned that i needed roomed in the toe box, and he suggested wriggling my toes around which didn't work.

Other factors; Thai kitchens don't have an oven; I don't think I know anyone with an oven; I suppose I could try a fry up in a wok but will the boot go well with fish sauce and chilli?!

There is definitely a lot more foam than 4mm at the moment; so I may try the hammer method, and if that fails, then I will go to the remold if I can find someone with an oven.

Thanks for your idea. :-)

he was not a good fitter or does not know thermoflex liners

well, try this at your own risk but if you have a wax iron that has a thermometer built in or a blow dryer you could probably heat a spot on the liner to pack it out

also if you can get a C clamp in there that might do the job, if you use a C clamp leave it on over night.

ohh yeah, I am sure they go good with fish sauce and chili, fish sauce makes everything good

mmmmmmmmmmm gonna go make some rice noodles now

he was not a good fitter or does not know thermoflex liners

ohh yeah, I am sure they go good with fish sauce and chili, fish sauce makes everything good

mmmmmmmmmmm gonna go make some rice noodles now

YOu need to come over here; limitless food every day; good decent plate of food is $1 USD or less :-)

I tried your G clamp idea; works like a charm; did not even need to leave it on over night, just clamped it down andsquashed the foam out. I also threaded in a screwdriver head, and bashed it with the hammer as well, and between those two thing I now have a LOT more more in the toe area.

The guy really knew what he was doing with stretching, but I suspect he had not down much with thermofits; they have the heads in that shop (reno Mtn sports) but all the rest is ski boot stuff.

there are some over confident techs out there but 95% of the time they are right on, the thing is that those liners are radically different than most ski boot liners.

glad that worked for you, between having fairly odd feet, doing a little bit of boot work here and there for others and a fair amount time in a shop I usually have some ideas.

anyway, if you have a bed for me, maybe I will come visit!