Note to New Members ×

Heel lift options on Burton plates?

alexeyga

Do you have Race plates on which the heel block can be unscrewed or other Burton bindings (Performance, Carrier, rental) on which the heel is riveted? If it's the first, you can put shims under the heel block and use longer screws, if it's the other one, you haven't got much other choice than to use the burton cant, ride flat or get other bindings. Or make one if your a machinist...

Derf,

I think I have the Race-series bindings with screws.. Though I don't feel right about shims, since the boot won't be standing on flats anymore. If i still had access to a machine shop, machining shims with a specific angle woudn't be a problem, but I don't - got my DEC finally...

It should be OK. With 3/16" you should get around 1.5 degree of lift, so you may have to stack a couple of them. With 1", you get 7 degrees, 1/2" = 3.5 degrees, and so on. Use atan(height/8)=angle, assuming you have "regular" size feet.

It's fiine trust me, I know dozens of people who just put a peice of plastic under thier heel piece for lift. F2, and Phiokka come with shims to do this with. For a breif time Burton even made shims to do this for the toe of the front binding. Lynn Ott, Pogue, Kosglow, Rosey, and many many others have this same cutting board piece in their binding.

Some cutting boards are made out of materials that can become very brittle at the moderately cold temperatures we see. Others will be too soft and "creep" (yes, it is a real term in materials science) under the platform and your screws will seem to loosen by themselves. Not good. Look for the milky white, very tough cutting boards. They are almost always made from a blend of what is known as Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE). This is the stuff you want.

Please be careful with 'home-brew' modifications. I'm a mechanical engineer and I've seen too many "makes sense to me" things go wrong.

F2 makes wedges, thus both toe and heel pieces always stay on the same plane... Perhaps it's not that important, but I don't like half-way approach...

It isn't a half-way approach. People have been doing it for years with no problems, if you want to make it more difficult and complicated go for it.

Thanks guys, I'm in Mechanical Engineering my-self, so cutting board doesn't sound good to begin with... I've been abusing my work-time today, punched out a bunch of nice spacers out of 1/4" alum... Same form as the heel block.. :D I've also tried to make a new base plate, just for the sake of it... but this thing is bloody hard to copy. Whoever drew it originally was really sick... :AR15firin I still want to make a few spare ones, before I quit my current job...

cutting board works fine; you can just grind it at a slight angle, so that the boot is flat again.

However, take a look at the rubbish sole of most snowboard boots; it is soft rubber which compresses when you tighten the binding; so being flat against the sole means nothing. It only make a difference for a ski boot, which I understand the guy Anton still uses; but even so i can bet he has some play in the binding probably, so again, maybe he likes it that way?

I think aluminium is overkill and heavy maybe, but what do I know as I am not an engineer :-)

When in doubt, use a dremmel. When in more doubt, use a hammer. When in most doubt, use dremmel plus hammer, plus jaegermester.

cutting board works fine; you can just grind it at a slight angle, so that the boot is flat again.

However, take a look at the rubbish sole of most snowboard boots; it is soft rubber which compresses when you tighten the binding; so being flat against the sole means nothing.

Exactly. That said, my bits of cutting board are angled, because I'm a perfectionist and a geek. They didn't need to be, but I enjoyed doing it.

Dremels are for girls, though. You don't want a dremel, you want something like this

02-airanglegrinder-gp831.jpg

plus

sledgehammer.jpg

plus

Bosch%20Drill.jpg

plus

oxy_acetylene.jpg

and the job's a good 'un

Simon