Note to New Members ×

Racing ..is...so...AWESOME!

Guest dragonsword5

Guest dragonsword5

I had my first race today and I have to say I abosultely loved it! It was so cool! I raced in the Mid Atlantic Snowboard Series and I had so much fun! My friends and I all ranked (the youngest of them got 1st twice due to the fact she was by herself :p ) and the next oldest got 1st and second and I placed 3rd in Sl and GS. I actually liked doing GS a whole lot better then Sl.

It was sooo COOL!!! :lol:

Guest dragonsword5

I had so much trouble with the Sl (it could also be it was my first time racing and it was really icy :p ) I had no rhythm and felt really unstable. I almost lost it a couple of times when I got stuck in my carve. On the GS it was considerabley easier and I felt more relaxed.

I'll be working on it so when the next competition is in March I'll be ready for it :lol: :cool:

you're talking about the one at Camelback yesterday right? How'd you do? I was watching the event for most of the day (not sure if you saw me, I had a green jacket, black helmet and an alpine racing board). Some of those kids were sure ripping it up on the course even on fs boards. Give them a few more years on a racing board, they'll be tough to beat.The top adult riders on the race boards were just awesome to watch, they were really laying down some serious trenches.

Got to meet some gentleman whose son was competing, got invited to ride with his crew down at Ski Roundtop. Also I noticed that Pocono Raceway trail makes for a nice carving trail, I think I might go back to that one.:)

Guest dragonsword5
you're talking about the one at Camelback yesterday right? How'd you do? I was watching the event for most of the day (not sure if you saw me, I had a green jacket, black helmet and an alpine racing board). Some of those kids were sure ripping it up on the course even on fs boards. Give them a few more years on a racing board, they'll be tough to beat.

I was in the bright yellow jacket and spider helmet. I placed 3rd in the SL and GS. I tried to watch most of the alpine racers to see how they were doing it and then if I could imitate it.

The top adult riders on the race boards were just awesome to watch, they were really laying down some serious trenches.

Weren't they! There was one woman with deluxe indy boots 03-04 season I think who was amazing! I think she timed 31. something or other. There was also another man in a white jacket I think with TD 1 bindings and a green board. He was insane! I was talking to him and he gave me some tips which helped.

Got to meet some gentleman whose son was competing, got invited to ride with his crew down at Ski Roundtop. Also I noticed that Pocono Raceway trail makes for a nice carving trail, I think I might go back to that one.:)

Ski Roundtop is the next racing competition isn't it? I'll be there hopefully :)

i was at pico sunday and saw a bunch of racers in both hard and soft gear. just curious, why do folks race in soft boots? it seems like that would be like entering a road cycling race on a mtn bike. is it financial or that they just cant find the gear? there were some pretty small kids there so im sure they cant find gear for them.

Guest dragonsword5
i was at pico sunday and saw a bunch of racers in both hard and soft gear. just curious, why do folks race in soft boots? it seems like that would be like entering a road cycling race on a mtn bike. is it financial or that they just cant find the gear? there were some pretty small kids there so im sure they cant find gear for them.

Perhaps they just don't know about the alpine gear? Finding it is also a factor too but I think they just don't know it exists.

A lot of the alpine riders got the "what is that" look but after they saw them racing and I think they were shown the light :ices_ange

at the USASA races, A lot of the racers are kids...or parents. Many are doing the events because they show up, and there it is...Lets try it. Others are getting their first exposure to it. for most, They don't want to make the financial commitment to racing, prior to making the mental commitment, especially when it is a kid we are talking about and Mom and dad ar foorting the bill.

how do you guys get into snowboard racing? I'd like to get into it eventually, since I consider myself pretty fast on a board but I don't just want to sign for a race and start crashing into the gates. Is there some kind of training program or practice course set up by the resorts you can give a try (like a NASTAR course or something?) thanks for the info.

Guest dragonsword5
Like I said above, My program is Western Mass, and I welcome people to drop in for a try. we'll be gate training on Saturday, then going to the USASA Race on Sunday at Eaglebrook School.

I wish I could go but I'll be at Smuggs this weekend with my school :( Another time though. My dad said he would go :D Sigh...I can't wait till I'm legally able to drive by myself :D

Guest dragonsword5
how do you guys get into snowboard racing? I'd like to get into it eventually, since I consider myself pretty fast on a board but I don't just want to sign for a race and start crashing into the gates. Is there some kind of training program or practice course set up by the resorts you can give a try (like a NASTAR course or something?) thanks for the info.

It was my very first time doing anything about racing over the weekend and I was a nervous wreck but I was just like...ok this is going to be interesting and had a blast.

It also helped that I got to ride with a former racer for K2 boards who taught me really how to carve and gave me tips :biggthump

I can't wait for March for the next M.A.S.S. competition.

It was fun to race on Mountain Creek team once. No team anymore I guess. No time for the fun anymore so no training and getting rusty... including boards.

Say hello to Kevin Whitehead and Bill Van Gilder if you see them (well... Bill still runs the series).

Guest dragonsword5
It was fun to race on Mountain Creek team once. No team anymore I guess. No time for the fun anymore so no training and getting rusty... including boards.

Say hello to Kevin Whitehead and Bill Van Gilder if you see them (well... Bill still runs the series).

I heard from someone that Mountain Creek is starting up a racing team again for snowboarding :freak3:

Guest dragonsword5
really? any more info on that??

don't know. She said that when she was at mountain creek she a group of snowboarders together and she asked the lift attendant person what was going on and he said that they were a snowboard team or something for Mountain Creek or something like that. :smashfrea

don't know. She said that when she was at mountain creek she a group of snowboarders together and she asked the lift attendant person what was going on and he said that they were a snowboard team or something for Mountain Creek or something like that. :smashfrea

Yes. There is a team only freestyle. MC has big tradition of freestyle as a few top riders come from New Jersey and there is (was?) big fs event at MC once a year.

The point is that once we had MountainCreek Snowboard Racing Team and we trained on gates on the same slope as alpine skiers. I would wonder what whould make Racing Director at MC to revieve the team. Last time it was not nice considering treatment we got when for 7 racers there was three national titles while none of hundreds of high school skiers had a single title of that level :D I hope that will eventually change but snowboard racing is really a niche that MC might not be interested in.

Drangonsword-

I'm glad you enjoyed the day. i am one of the coaches at Ski Roundtop, and would be happy to have you down to practice anytime... we train monday and wednesday nights from 6 until 9 pm. occassionally we train on weekends. (actually- most weekends)...

Glad to see some new faces on race day.

ps- the girl riding the deeluxe indys was tara brady. she's an athlete on my team that is back from injury from last season. the last time she raced was at the usasa nationals in angel fire, where she got on the podium! she's way fast!

-take care.

Neil

Guest dragonsword5

Hey neil,

Thanks for the offer though but I think its a bit far for us (I think its an overnight trip) and I have school :flamethro But when I have winter break coming up soon in Feb so I'll give ya a shout if my dad and I can make it. We're definitely looking to find some places to practice actual snowboard gates :D