209 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear helmets or not.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the question I wouldn't ride without my helmet. Although women like to be fashionistas while riding but I wouldn't chance it.

So one day we were out riding, I hit a little dip on the slope and was launched forward at 35 mph. I cracked my helmet right down the middle, shattered my goggles, blackened both eyes and suffered a week long concussion.

I went to work that Monday (althought the doctor said no) so I am stepping out of the elevator at work when this woman walks up to me and asks me if I was ok. I said yeah just too much excitement over the weekend, so she proceeds to tell me if I needed to talk she was there for me. So I'm like WTF why is she treating me like I'm a battered woman, so I told her that I did this to myself snowboarding over the weekend. To which she replies - The first thing you need to do is accept there is a problem and that you should never take abuse from your spouse. Which made me laugh but seriously if I hadn't been wearing my helmet that day it could have been a lot worse. I'm glad that all I walked with just a concussion and two black eyes.

• 2 months later...

It was the last run of the last day out and I caught something in the snow - a rock or something on my toe side in a hard turn and it sent me over to my heel side - caught the edge and whipped me on my ass - and head on typical Ontario ice. I wasn't "out" but I got up slowly

On the way down I noticed that my googles didn't fit right so I took off my helmut and found my helmut was split from the bottom to the top with only about 2" of outer shell left still together. This was a high end helmut with a thick hard shell. It completely took the impact and dissapated the enregy exactly as it was designed.

Without it I I would have been..................?

Its not a question if you will hit your melon on the ice but how hard.