Note to New Members ×

Demoing Charges---Normal?

RDY_2_Carve

Here's an email I just sent to the "Contact" Email on the Lib-Tech Website. It pretty much explains everything...

Dear Sir,

I went to your website with interest in your new Magne-Traction technology and noticed your offering of demos at select distributors. Upon looking at the distributors I noticed one local to me in Albuquerque, New Mexico (4 D's). I gave them a call and they were very helpful in getting me setup on a 161W Magne Traction Demo board. I went and picked it up today and to my surprise it was brand new; ended up belonging to one of the shop employees. Apparently this shop does not do a lot of demo's and they were somewhat unfamiliar with the standard process.

I left my credit card information with them for a $500 deposit and left with the board. To my surprise I recieved a call a couple hours later from them stating they had just got off the phone with thier Lib-Tech Rep and clarified their demo policy/process just to be sure. They told me they were suppost to charge an equivalent "rental fee" for demo's and any costs accrued from the "rental fees" could be taken towards the purchase of a new board. I was under the assumption that demoing boards was a free process (minus liablity for the condition of the board-just incase) and $25/day seemed a bit harsh to test this new technology. I could understand a small fee to deter people from getting free board rentals by demoing...

Is this normal to be charged to demo a snowboard? I've seen tents setup at base areas with other snowboard manufacturers and there was never a charge associated with it. Perhaps your policy (paying to demo) is normal and I experienced an exception to the general rule of thumb?

Your reply is greatly appreciated. I informed 4-D's that I would be bringing the board back to them tommorow (Saturday) to avoid any charges on my credit card.

So my question to you guys is whether or not it's normal to pay for demoing boards? Does Sean @ Donek just spoil us or what?

P.S. I REALLY was stoked to get the plates on the Magne-Traction this Sunday! Very dissapointed! :(

It really depends.

If you get a demo board for a day from a shop, they usually charge you (but deduct the price for the demo if you buy a board).

When ski/snowboard companies have demos at resorts and you get to try a board for a couple of runs then they usually don't charge you.

...and yes Sean is spoiling us. :biggthump

Whoever owns the board sets the prices. What's the difference between a demo and a rental, really? Often when a vendor has a booth set up at the hill it's free, but I've always paid a few bucks to rent "this year's" high-end skis from local shops. (I've never demo'd a snowboard locally, nobody stocks anything I'd want.)

Sean's free demo program is pretty sweet, I'm not aware of any others like it.

Seems to be pretty standard to charge. Not really a surprise other than they called you after the fact-To me good customer service says the shop would eat the fee this time and chalk it up to education. You let the guy know when he brings the board back, say "we just learned.....we ate the fee......" and hopefully get a long term customer.

Wow thanks for the replies guys. Think I'm going to head to the shop and pay the $25 to ride this bad boy tommorow. I'll post a reply either here or on the other magne-traction thread with my thoughts on the board.

I feel better now that I know it's normal practice to pay for a demo. Maybe I can talk the boys at the shop into letting me demo it for "free" in return for a couple hot waxes or something...

Cheers

Kirk, I agree. Kind of interestin it belongs to an employee. I woulkd not loan my gear to a customer unless I know them well or had a reimbursment plan in my hands. Most shops "demo" the latest /greatest (at least with skis) but it really is a rental unless you go to a specific demo days event.