Note to New Members ×

WTB: Board and boots. I'm convinced I must carve!

chadx

Wanted:

Boots: Mondo 27 with Intec heel (or compatible with one).

Any good All-mountain board: Length 165 – 180, Sidecut radius 9.5 – 11.5, waist 19 – 22 (would LOVE a Donek Axis, Coiler AM, Prior 4WD, or Prior ATV, but I can't be picky).

Hi all,

I felt a tangent/background coming on, so I just posted the important stuff right away (the above "Wanted" list). You can ignore the rest if you want. :sleep:

You were warned!

:biggthump

I am making the switch from ski to board and looking for carving equipment . It started simply enough when I started wakeboarding a couple years ago. So now I thought that I'd switch from two to one stick on the snow as well as the water. Thinking I'd be most interested in freestyle, similar to wakeboarding, I quickly realized, as I researched and rode and researched some more, that it is the carve I crave, not skidding around. <O:p</O:p

I've been trying to piece together a beginners carving setup by constantly monitoring ebay and bomber online. I am, of course trying to go economical, which might be my first problem, but since there are few places to rent hardboot equipment, I don't want to break the bank (what little of it there is) on something I'm “only” 99.999999% sure of rather than 100%.

Anyway, one of the great guys on bomber online (you know who you are) felt pity on me and gave me a good deal on a used set of TD1 SI. I thought I was going to end up on some cheap, junky bindings until that all fell into place. Yea! The quest for a board and boots continues, in vain, so I’m now asking for help. I'm going to need to find boots with an Intec heel (or that can be changed out) since the TDI are SI. I can't shell out the funds for a new pair of Deeluxe Suzuka like I want so I'm watching for anything that might work. Not too many used snowboard hardboots come through from what I've seen.

According to my ruler, I'm a mondo 27. I've seen some discussion on using ski boots (even though the flex is poor and they are obviously less than ideal). Any comments on that? There are LOTS of used ski boots around. Even ones only a year or two old, but not sure if they would work or how to tell if I can add a Intec heel to them. Anyone experience with using ski boots and the pitfalls and how to tell if an Intec can be used?

Boards. Since it will be one board for the foreseeable future, a race board is out. I'll need an all mountain board. Top of my list would be Coiler AM, Donek Axis, Prior 4WD, or a Prior ATV. I need something that can do the pow, crud, and ice, but still lay a nice trench and those boards are what I came up with. Not having any board experience, what are comparable boards that I can also watch for? I'm looking for length between 165 and 180, sidecut radius of 9.5 - 11.5, and a waist of 19 - 22. I'm 170lbs so appropriate stiffness applies. Price range is around $300, but maybe more for the boards listed above, or less for something old but somewhat suitable (then I can spend more on boots).

If you made it through all that, besides being amazed, I'm also grateful. Have some pity on this guy and PLEASE help me get into this sport! (See, I'll even grovel if necessary).

<O:pWanted:

Boots: Mondo 27 with Intec heel (or compatible with one).

Any good All-mountain board: Length 165 – 180, Sidecut radius 9.5 – 11.5, waist 19 – 22 (would LOVE a Donek Axis, Coiler AM, Prior 4WD, or Prior ATV, but I can't be picky).

Thanks everyone!

Chad

If you don't want to post here, my email is enabled (at least I tried to).

I have a Vokl Spline 164 that could be a good option for you. Stiff but not race stiff - precursor to the Volkl Cross board. Directional shape and 240 waist. Perfect all-mountain set-up and can lay good carves when called upon

$150 plus shipping

post-207-141842210972_thumb.jpg

Do not use ski boots. They are not compatible with intec bindings and you can't flex them enough both foward and side ways. Also the soles are generally too long forcing you to ride overly steep angles. When snow conditions get choppy you will get banged around too much due to the stiffness of the boots. I have ridden them in the past but they aren't that good. as a beginning carver it will make it much harder to learn.A good boot to consider would be the raichiile lemans. It works well with the boards you are considering. It can be adjustedto be softer or stiffer. It is not a super stiff boot to begin with. I have riden it on a prior 4wd and it works well. It is a comfortable boot due to the thermoflex liner and it is intec compatible. Also where will you be riding? Are you going to be going out west and riding powder and soft snow or are you interested in groomed snow only? I have been riding for 27 years and prefer to ride plates on groomed snow only and soft boots all mountain. The prior 4x4 and axis can be ridden all mountain but I think a quality soft boot set up and board works better. I feel that the 4x4 is a good board for a begining carver but is too narrow to ride in powder well. I can do it but I like soft boots better.If you are considering soft boots don't buy a cheap pair as they will be too soft and won't allow you to carve as well. I am riding the deluxe spark boot with the plastic stiffeners added. It has a thermoflex liner and fits well. Carves well all mountain. i have spent more time in soft boots this year due to the fact that the conditions in Colorado have been good for it. I do enjoy hard boots when the snow is hard and it hasn't snowed for a while. a lot of times I will ride both set ups the same day. I hope this helps.Try contacting Bola at All board sports in Boulder CO 303-415-1600 for hard and soft boot gear. Also i have heard that Bomber might be offering demos in CO this year . Call to find out