Note to New Members ×

A little selling etiquette would be nice...

Guest tdinardo

The problem with feedback here, in an additional forum, is that this is an unregulated selling environment - eBay has all the policies and rules and procedures in place, the all buyers and seller agree to, so you can legitimately say that someone broke an agreement. A lot of the sales that go on here are VERY informal and someone can be upset for reasons that are actually their own fault - and then post away all the nasty stuff they want to about somebody.

I agree with D-Sub...there are escrow services if you choose to go that way. This forum is really "buyer/trader beware". It's up to the individual to make darn sure what the item, terms and conditions are. For example, if you are buying a board from an unknown seller, and it's listed as "like new" but the pic is super dark or non-existent, thne ask for better pics or closeups of the inserts / edge / base. If they aren't available or poor quality so you can't determine the condition, then don't buy...or if you do buy, realize you are taking a chance.

I learned this lesson recently too - if you are trading items, it is good to ask for pics too. One persons idea of "excellent condition" may be different than your own. All that said, everything I've ever bought here has been top-notch or at the very least exactly as described - WHEN I made sure to get good pics sent. I passed on one relatively expensive race board because I asked whether it had ever been tuned, by whom, what the edge bevels were, if it had been hot waxed and with what type of iron (mom's old super hot iron can SEAL a p-tex base) - and the seller got all defensive and indicated I was "hassling him". Sorry, no deal there.

So, it's up to all of us to ask questions, ask for QUALITY pics, specs, ask for referrals from other buyers if we feel like it, and realize this is a free market - money talks. There is no "waiting line" from some sellers. There is always eBay if we don't feel comfortable buying here.

One more note - I've had buyers/traders ignore email communications from me about the details of a sale or trade, then send their money or item, then throw a fit when I nix the deal. It is always up to the seller/trader to decide who to sell to and when, and always up to the buyer/trader on the other end to make sure the deal is what they want. And leave room for mistakes and mis-understandings too - this isn't a hands-on-product store and those things will happen from time to time. If you have to eat a few bucks on shipping sometimes, then that's just part of buying in this environment. I just bought a board from Canada, shipping was supposed to be $33 - I asked them to insure it without first checking insurance rates myself, it turned out to be $24 additional, and it was MY bad for not covering the details, NOT the sellers...that's the way it goes sometimes. I think we are lucky as hell to have this medium to buy/sell/trade in, but it's the same as buying anywhere else - BUYER BEWARE!! :D

Dude you live on this site. Dont you know its Michelle that really runs this place?

If any one can change things its her!

yeah, I live here...but michelle cant change other's behavior. if you meant implement a feedback system, yeah that'd be great!

Boardy, if you have something to say, say it in the dedicated thread. People might be mistaken, what's so difficult in pointing it to them?

Sounds so simple but causes major issues. Years back I would point out stuff then the hate mail started. Not worth it any more. Plus some sellers think you are costing them a sale when you point out misrepresented items. :) Plus this is a forum with different levels of tech knowledge. Its to much of a bother some times.

• 2 weeks later...

This week was my first time selling anything on BOL!

I didn't want to get rid of anything.. both Items were prime boards but I needed the money for my Premature Ejaculation Release Defense, so i moved the best I had hoping it was quick and it was.

now I hope the it all goes smoothly..paypal make it much easier to handle ..don't like the fee but you know its there!

It was frustrating dealing with all the tire kickers and on and off again..

Im a person who knows what I want so I will ask questions and when satisfied and say yes...Its a yes!!

I can usualy make my mind up in minutes! most here I think know what we want so when we see it we commit to it..

So I know that frustration.. but being the first time and so far so good .. Im relieved it went so well.

I know most of you,, not in person but from being on BOL so long. So if its one of you guys who bought something I would trust ya! Thats how I am..I think most of us could be hunted down and beatin! if any of us got cheated!

I for one would help if something in my area with you guys went bad.. I would help...Pummel the guy that is!! :smashfrea

I understand..

Thats why you should do all your buying needs from me!

Right said Shred

Vot eber heppin to da crezee kraut ahk-zent?

I just wanted to say I feel like I've known you for years and I hope your personal/financial problems will be resolved soon and as painlessly as possible.

Unt I iz hopen you haf not gettin your dicken stukken in der Virus Deathlockin Binder, bustenhalter.

Gut, ja?

ds

Yea, I feel the same about a lot of ya guys.. that why if its some one from this forum Im pretty comfortable.. with all the chit chat ya kinda really get the feel for someone..

Ja..I no dat it vus hard to right mit dis ak cent so diffikult sum dime.. vay to hard do keep righting like dat!! ha!

Actually I will know on Jan 26th how things will be.. Should be ok!! the immediate funds helped big time so I can breath!

Danks!

Right Said Shred