Note to New Members ×

Sratton New Years Weekend

tex1230

So I finally got to the snow this weekend (late start I know...really missing my ski bum days!)

First and Foremost...I want to give a HUGE amount of thanks to the guys at Starting Gate - the Bootfitters there are amazing and saved my weekend! Also I got to demo a Donek FC1 179 - these guys are keeping alpine alive in the East and they deserve all the support we can give them. Sean was very cool and knows tons about board construction and performance. It's pretty rare to find a guy who isn't trying to push you into buying a board on the spot and encourages you to try several boards. If you're in Vermont, you owe it to yourself to stop in and talk to these guys.

On Saturday, I was on a borrowed FP in the morning...sheet Ice...quit after 2 runs...just terrible conditions and my boots were killing me...I saw a bunch of little kids on alpine boards and thought that was pretty cool - there was a GS race going on - it was nice to see that about half of the kids were on the "right" equipment for a race. Didn't see any carvers outside the race course though...

Saturday night it snowed about 2 inches, I went & got my boots fixed and picked up the Donek. Good conditions, not great, but I had fun. My only complaint was that the board felt a little too hooky for my taste - I think I'm probably a little too heavy for it - It felt like it was turning much tighter than it should with a 11.2m sidecut. Fun ride, but I'm even more convinced that I need a custom.

Monday was my big regret. I had told my 5yr old son that I would ski with him, so I strapped on my snowblades and went with him on the greens all day...and the snow was perfect for carving...

Saw a couple of alpine riders out that day - a young lady on a silver Donek ripping it up, and I met John Gilmour from Madd in the bar in the afternoon. Had a nice talk with him about their boards, but unfortunately had to leave and make the drive back home so I didn't get to ride with him. Nice guy.

Speaking of the drive home...

What kind of drugs are being passed around the Mass. Highway Department? the 91 was one lane through the entire state. :flamethro Why is it that every 3-day weekend these idiots decide to close down the main North-Souh route through the state on the day that they know the entire world is driving home? Morons :angryfire

Friday - Stamford, CT to Stratton - 3.5 hours

Monday - Sratton to Stamford - 6.5 hours (and I took back roads through the berkshires or it would have been more like 8)

Can't wait for my next trip - as soon as I figure out how to pay for it...