Note to New Members ×

New solution for Shin Bang?

Hans

Guest tdinardo
Any one try these shintronics? Since I got some shin bang due to a very hard lining of my Northwave .900 boots, I am seeking for a solution. Or are there other solutions, may be just a piece of neoprene between my boot and my socks??

http://www.manoove.com/

Greets, Hans.

I used to have a shin bang problem too. I tried the Eliminator shim that D-Sub mentioned (as well as a few others) without success.

I found the best solution was a quality boot fitter. Shell alignment (canting the rear shell 3 degrees), creative use of a heat gun on the tongue (to get it to stay in place when flexing laterally), and heel lifts (to move my shin further up to the more padded part of the tongue and to reduce my flex angle - I'm hyper flexible) resolved my issues.

Have you figured out exactly what is causing your bang problem yet? is your shin in the right place inside the boot? Does the tongue stay in place or does it move after you flex a few times? Do you have canting adjustments on your shells? If yes, have you played with different angles?

Tom.

Hi, Tom and thanks D-sub for the link.

I have it only when I use my Northwave .900 with my SWOARD. I think shin bang is the wrong word for it. I think shin bite is better. I use these boots with booster straps and with a softer Raichletongue and buckled my boots tight enough. It's just the place at my shins about two thick fingers above my ankle. So I think it's the liner which is a little thin and made of tough material which pushes my shins at this place.

I saw in a earlier post that shaving your shins can be a solution. I got some neoprene pieces from a kitesurfing shop, may be this helps. Other tips are welcome.

Greets, Hans.

Guest tdinardo
Hi, Tom and thanks D-sub for the link.

I have it only when I use my Northwave .900 with my SWOARD. I think shin bang is the wrong word for it. I think shin bite is better. I use these boots with booster straps and with a softer Raichletongue and buckled my boots tight enough. It's just the place at my shins about two thick fingers above my ankle. So I think it's the liner which is a little thin and made of tough material which pushes my shins at this place.

I saw in a earlier post that shaving your shins can be a solution. I got some neoprene pieces from a kitesurfing shop, may be this helps. Other tips are welcome.

Greets, Hans.

One other thing that I'd try is going sockless and making sure your thermals are not inside your boots. I've been riding without socks since the early 80's. When my ski team coach told me to do that to make my feet warmer and reduce shin bang/bite issues I thought he was insane. Then I tried it. I never wore socks in my boots again.

As you mentioned, shaving your lower legs is also something to try. It reduces friction in that area which may help.

Guest sgvrijburg

Hi there,

I am the inventor and producer of the Shintronic. It is not my goal to advertise, but I like to inform you in a technically way. I used to have severe shin bang until I made a neoprene solution with the help of a diving suit supplier. I worked on the design for about 4 seasons. And when I met my present partner in business it all took a run. My partner is also the producer of Gaastra wetsuits.

To put it shortly:

The advantages for consumers are forthcoming of the following essential technical chracteristics of the design of the 6mm Shintronic (about 2 mm when pressed).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

(1) Spreading the pressureà the ‘paddings’ are placed over the side of the tongue of the skiboot / snowboard boot. They widen the pressure zone..<o:p></o:p>

(2) Taking over pressure à the two inside ‘paddings’rest precisely on the flat side of your shin bone. That flat side can have a lot of pressure (<-- important)

(3) Relieving pressure à the front side of the shin will rest in the ‘slot’ between the ‘paddings’ and will be relieved. The whole side section will relieve the pressure on your anklebone (sticking out).<o:p></o:p>

(4) Damping à neoprene gives comfort without a compromis. De pressure build up is quite direct and the material is is long lasting. (another advantage is that the rims of your boots will press on neoprene instead of on your skin..) <o:p></o:p>

(5) Filling à filling the spaces in your boot will give a direct connection with your boot and thus with your skis. Theoretically the clips (‘schnallen’) of the boot can be used in a looser way. (people with thin ankles will have their solution anyhow at hand now)<o:p></o:p>

(6) Leverage à as soon as you start leaning forward, the frontside of the shintronic will operate as a lever. Your heel will be put more tightly in the back of your boot.<o:p></o:p>

(7) Power distributionà the power you need to control your skis will be distributed to the uppershaft of your boot more efficiëntly. It may relieve other parts of your feet and boots. The momentum of your boot will be higher anyhow…

My ski capacities turned the other way around....

With kind regards,

Sjoerd Vrijburg

(The Netherlands)

<o:p> </o:p>